Chapter Twenty-Four- The Spring Dance/ Facing Reality

It turned out that I was going to be seeing Imogen a lot earlier than expected, because not only had she been dropped off around the same time as my mothers had decided to drop me off, but the Candor twins hadn't yet arrived either. This meant that we would have plenty of time to talk to each other, if Imogen wanted to say a word to me, of course. 

The Spring Dance began in the afternoon, and would lead into the early hours of the evening. 

In those hours, I had to make sure that I spoke to Imogen about this whole situation between the two of us, at least once. 

I needed to figure out what was going on here, then I could use that information to make my next decision. 

Of course, if Imogen was to turn around and tell me that she wanted nothing to do with me, I would be incredibly sad, but I had to prepare for that sort of situation, too. 

I supposed I was just, to put it simply, incredibly anxious. 

I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to cope with this tension between us into the night, but I would work that out when I got to it. 

I took a moment to look around the dance hall, and admired the decorations of flowers and stars all hanging from the ceiling or from the walls. Of course, we had to have a disco ball, too, which was central to the room. 

Multi coloured lights flashed into the somewhat empty hall because, again, we were earlier. I really hoped that Gina and Jay would make a show soon, though. 

I decided to take it upon myself to break the ice, and spoke first to Imogen. 

"Hey," I said. 

She turned to me then and smiled. 

"Hey," she replied. 

Imogen looked beautiful, of course. 

Her dark hair was curled, and her makeup complemented her navy dress well. It was a short dress, falling mid-thigh, and with a floaty skirt that complemented her figure well, too. 

"You look nice," I said. 

"Thank you," she replied, the corner of her mouth twitching up slightly, as though she felt amused. 

"I mean, better than nice, you look really gorgeous," I stated. 

She chuckled. 

"Thank you, Annie. The same could be said for you, though. I mean-" she looked over me then with a look of admiration as her hands gestured to me from my head downwards, "Wow, look at you," she said. 

I just blushed. 

"Thank you, Ims," I said. 

"Of course. Hey, I'm sorry I wasn't around recently...I have been thinking over things," she informed me. 

Yeah. I wish I knew what things she was thinking over, though. 

"And I'm really sorry for your loss, Annie. I'm here now," she said, "I don't intend on just deserting you...I know it may have felt like that when I- Well, you know, but I just panicked I think," she said. 

"It's okay," I said. 

I wanted to say more, but my mind was coming up blank. 

Fortunately, Jay soon swooped in with glasses of punch in each of his hands, which he then passed to Imogen and I. I looked towards him to see he was dressed in a plum-coloured suit. It really suited him well, pardon the pun. 

"Hello, ladies, how are we enjoying this evening?" he asked, with a smile. 

"It's better now that you're here, Jay," Imogen said.