Chapter Seventeen- Study Partner

Later that same day, Margo and Fox had returned home, and I had informed my mothers that I was going to go to the library to study for a short while. 

Upon arrival, I saw that Jay was there, too. 

Okay, so I said I was going to study. I needed to keep focused, now. I knew that there was a great chance that I would be somewhat distracted by talking to Jay, though. 

He soon approached me. 

"How is she?" I asked him, referring to Gina. 

We may not be getting along right now, but I still cared for her general well-being. 

"She texted you. Can't you ask her that one?" he suggested. 

"Yeah, no," I said. 

He sighed. 

"Annie," he said. 

"Jay," I replied, with an equally serious tone. 

I watched as a squirrel ran by the windowsill outside. Jay followed my gaze for a moment, but then returned his eyes to me. 

"Annie. Just talk to her," he said. 

"Okay. I will do, in two-thousand and never," I stated. 

Jay suppressed his sigh this time around, instead he appeared to whack me on the head with the book he was currently holding in his grasp. 

More to the point, Jay, studying? I didn't think I would see this day come around any time soon, but stranger things had happened recently, it was safe to say. 

It turned out that it wasn't going to be a case of preparing for my conversation with Gina, as she soon approached the two of us. 

"Jay, let's go study over here," Gina whispered. 

"Seriously?" I asked this time, unable to control my voice volume-level. 

I met the librarian with an apologetic expression as she looked towards me. 

"Sorry, Sally," I said to her. 

Gina moved a hand through her dark braids and just exhaled. 

"Annie, I'm sorry," she said, "Would you rather I stuck around and studied with you?" she asked. 

"I mean...I would like something," I said. 

"Did you even read my texts? My cat died last night, and you weren't there," she said. 

Crap. Cooper? I loved that cat. 

"Gina...I am so sorry. I was kind of preoccupied," I admitted. 

"Yeah, with ignoring me," Gina said with an accusatory tone. 

"Actually, I found out that my auntie Fox is pregnant," I said. 

"Well, that's excellent for you, Annie...but I'm not really in the mood to be a happy little bunny right now," she stated. 

Jay just raised an eyebrow at her, and it was safe to say that I was doing the same presently. 

I wanted to say something else. Anything. 

Before I could, though, Lake soon approached the table, and my stomach did a flip. 

Oh no. 

I had a bad and distressing feeling that this was something I was just going to have to get used to. 

It didn't mean that I exactly wanted to, though. 

Screw this. 

I stood up and began to move away from the two of them, but Lake called out to me.