Chapter Fifteen- Aunt Margo

The early hours of evening were quickly approaching, so Jay and I turned our route around on our walk and began to set off for home. It was nice to have spent so much time in nature, though, the evergreen trees and cute little squirrels and bunnies reassured me that there were still good things out there. I was just currently questioning the morals of people I had known for a very long time. 

"You know something, Jay?" I asked him, then, and he turned to me with an inquisitive expression upon his face. 

"Know what?" he asked. 

"I admire you," I said. 

He smiled; his cheeks blushed a little as he did so. 

He adjusted the collar on his jacket and then returned his gaze to mine. 

"Er...why do you admire me?" he asked. 

"'Cause you're always there for me, even if it involves my sister or friends. Thank you," I said. 

"Hey, you're my best friend. I'm always going to be looking out for you, honey," he said. 

I just gave him an appreciative look in return for his kind statement. 

It really did mean a lot to have Jay there with me. It was certainly helping me keep my head above sea level. 

We soon returned to my beloved home, and Jay turned to me. 

"I didn't mention it earlier, but Lake and Gina left together early in the morning to spend the day together," he stated. 

"They what?" I asked, "Oh...so this isn't just a drunken thing, huh?" I asked. 

Jay met me with an apologetic expression, although he had no reason to be sorry. 

"I don't know, Annie," he said truthfully. 

"It'll be fine," I said. I had to say that to reassure myself of everything. 

"I could spend the afternoon with you, too, if you would like me to?" he offered. 

I gave a small shake of my head in response. 

"I'll be okay. I have my family to distract me well enough, and I have the house to clean up anyway," I informed him. 

I then watched as a raven passed by my house, and couldn't help but feel that maybe it was a bad omen, but that seemed ridiculous. 

"Alright then, Annie. I hope you have a good afternoon," Jay said, "Or at least try to, honey," he said. 

"I will," I stated, but didn't feel much in the mood for another hug. 

I hoped Jay understood that. 

"I'll see you later," he said, with a look of compassion in his eyes, before he headed away from my house. 

I wandered back in through the front door, and straight into the living room to plop myself down on the sofa and stick on some cartoons. 

It wasn't helping my mood very much, but hey, I wasn't sure what else to do. 

My chest was still hurting with the weight of everything that had come to pass. 

I seriously didn't want to think all that much about it. 

"Annie..." Kate said, as she sat beside me. 

"I'm still thinking about it," I admitted. 

"I thought you were," Kate replied with a sympathetic tone to her voice. 

"I'll be fine," I said, and not being in the mood to speak much on the subject, I wandered upstairs to my room and back into my bathroom. 

I took a moment to just look at myself in the mirror.