Chapter Twenty-Six- Obstacle

The following day was the fourth of July, which meant that my parents would be hosting their annual firework night. 

I had texted Imogen to invite her, and she said that she would be there if she could make it. I knew that herself and her parents were busily decorating their new house, so I would understand if she couldn't. 

The previous evening, I really couldn't sleep all that well. 

I just spent some time sat by my window, looking out at the dark night sky- dark like a black cat. The stars were like its many eyes, and they were either looking back at me with comfort or judgement. I thought it best to go with the earlier option. 

I soon wandered downstairs to greet Kate, and hugged her. 

"Good morning, mom," I said to her with a kind expression. 

"Good morning lovely. How are you?" she asked me. 

"I'm good," I said, and I think I actually did mean it this time. Mostly. I missed Imogen. 

I knew it hadn't been that long since I last had seen her, but still. 

"How are you?" I asked her. 

"I'm doing a little better," Kate said to me, and I was glad to hear it. 

Nobody had expected my grandfather's death, but we were pushing on because it was what he would have wanted for us to do. 

I missed him every day, though. That much was undeniable. 

"I'm glad to hear it," I told her, "So, are we all set for later?" I asked her, referring to the fact that we would be having a firework show at our house later. 

"Yeah, we should be!" Kate said. 

"As long as the fireworks arrive," Victoria said. 

Kate gave her a look then. 

"Wait, the fireworks haven't arrived?" she asked her. 

Victoria gave her a sheepish look. 

"Maybe not," she answered. 

"Oops," I said with a gentle laugh. 

My mothers just shook their head slightly at that. 

"It's okay. We can figure something else out," Kate said. 

"You sure?" Victoria asked her. 

"I'm sure," Kate told her, with a reassuring smile. 

Perhaps I would find a way around it. We couldn't have been the only family in the state hosting a firework evening, after all. We would figure something out to do. 

"It'll be fine," I chimed in, and they both looked towards me with appreciative expressions. 

"Annie," Victoria said then, and I turned to her. 

I remained unresponsive other than that, though. 

"Annie Margo Greene-Lace, how are you doing, darling?" she asked me. When either one of my mothers used my full name, I knew it was serious. I just decided to go with the truth. 

"I'm okay," I said. 

I was okay. 

Of course, I was still thinking back to the other night, and the kiss that Imogen and I had shared. It made my spirits rise a little, and my heart sped away. 

I just wished that things weren't so complicated, although I knew that there were reasons behind those subtle complications. 

"Good," Victoria said, and she seemed satisfied with my answer even if there was still a subtle expression of curiosity upon her face.