Chapter Eleven- Student President

Sure, I may have been hurting to a high degree after the conversation that had passed between Lake and I the previous day, but it was fortunate that I had a lot to take my mind off of everything. Friday morning brought along with it Student President Day, and I would finally be finding out whether I had been rewarded that status or not. I had been waiting for this day for so long, and nothing, especially my breakup aftermath, was going to stop me from enjoying the day ahead. Nothing could ruin this. I simply wouldn't allow it to. 

My moms were great. They had been saying positive affirmations to me the whole of the previous day, and Victoria kept assuring me that I was going to become student president. I had been working so hard for this, after all. 

Victoria and Kate gave me a lift to school. All parents were invited to the student president ceremony, too. It was a big tradition of our high school, and they were so involved in my academic life that I knew that they wouldn't miss the day for all the world. i had to say I had missed drives in my mother's car. Victoria's car could talk, quite literally. It had AI built into it, a unique program that she got updated every few years or so. Parking the car was quite as simple as saying 'Zoe, park', and yes, as it had turned out, my mother had named the car. 

As Victoria drove on, my mind wandered back to the main focus of the day ahead. I had to admit that I was both excited and nervous to find out who had been rewarded student president status, but Victoria gave me positive words up until the point at which she said a quick "Goodbye," to me, before allowing me to walk further into the school hall to meet with my friends. 

I turned back to meet Victoria's gaze for a moment, and she smiled instinctively. 

"Go get em, tiger," she mouthed. 

She was right. I had worked hard for this. I just had to wait and see, now. 

There was a certain mentality that Victoria had instilled in my mind that if I didn't come to win then it wasn't worth arriving at all, and I had always stuck by that. 

After I had greeted my friends, I went to take my place in the audience, and Kate gave me a quick embrace prior to sitting beside me. Victoria was sat on the other side of her. She gave me an encouraging wink as I sat there feeling as though I was partially drowning in my nerves. 

I would be okay, of course. This was just a lot to think about. 

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, and I turned to see Gina sat behind me. She grinned. 

"Hey Annie, regardless of the outcome, we will be able to celebrate your birthday tomorrow, alright? Promise," she said to me. 

I smiled at her and then turned myself back to look on stage, silently reassuring myself that if I got this, it would just be one step closer to getting over Lake. 

Imogen soon came to sit on the other side of me, and greeted me with a smile and a quick hug. I hadn't been expecting it, but it made me feel all warm inside and appreciative of her presence there. Imogen was going to be a great friend, I could tell as much. 

"Good luck, Annie," she said to me with a friendly smile. 

"Thank you, Immy," I replied with a slight smirk of amusement.

"Don't ruin it," she said. 

 "Me? Never," I replied quietly. 

Mr Michaelson soon got on stage, and there was a lot of murmuring from the audience as they considered and debated who was going to be picked. 

I almost thought that i couldn't trust my own hearing when he revealed who had become student president. 

"Annie Greene-Lace!" he exclaimed, and the audience broke into an applause.