Chapter Six- A Visit From Swan

The next morning brought with it a sunny and warm day, and I stretched in the comfort of my bed, content in the knowledge that I wasn't expected anywhere as it was a Sunday, but also admittedly slightly anxious about the fact that I had an exam the next day that, in all honesty, I really ought to have done a little more preparation for. 

Either way, though, I was sure that I could work things out. After I had gotten ready for the day ahead, I decided to spend most of the morning studying with the use of a few revision tools I had smartly installed onto my laptop, and then wandered downstairs to give Victoria and Kate hugs compassionately.  

"Good morning, moms," I told the two of them, giving them warm smiles as I fetched myself some toast with marmalade.

I had made a mental note to myself that before going to college it would probably be an idea to work on some of those much-needed cooking skills, but hey, I could do that soon enough. 

"We got another cheque this morning," Victoria said then. 

"For one of your paintings?" I asked. 

"Indeed! It sold for about three thousand dollars,"  Victoria told us. 

Kate's eyes brightened with amazement. 

"That's fantastic, Tori!" she said. 

It was safe to say that wealth was valued highly in our family. Victoria's parents were wealthy, and our family was, too. I tried to give as much of it to people that needed it as I could, though. 

Kate moved a hand through her blonde hair and smiled. 

My mothers both had blonde hair, although Kate's was slightly darker than Victoria's, which was now dyed a platinum shade. The roots were coming through a little darker, though. 

"Thank you, Kate," Victoria replied. 

Kate read out an email from her mobile, then. 

"Dear Mrs Greene-Lace, we would like to offer you the chance to publish your children's book 'Butterflies in Oregon', do you accept this opportunity?" 

"Yes!" Victoria exclaimed emphatically, causing Kate to release a gentle laugh as she quickly typed up a reply to the email. "Good work, sweetheart," Victoria added. 

"Thank you," Kate said, meeting Victoria with a meaningful look. 

It was approaching Victoria's birthday, too, so I was sure she would be even more appreciative of all of this. Fortune's wheel just seemed to be turning in our favour, recently. 

Well, for some of us, at least. I couldn't help but think about Lake for a moment, then. 

While Victoria walked away to begin to get on with some work, Kate turned her gaze to me. 

"Are you alright, Annie? And I want real answers, alright? I'm here for you," she said with sincerity. 

I appreciated it, of course, but she really needn't worry about me. Lake and I would work all this out in our own time, and if working all this out meant that the two of us were going to just be friends, then so be it. He had already expressed his interest in moving on, and maybe my heart did hurt a lot at that, yes, but I had to allow him the opportunity to move on. It would be selfish to try to cling onto things that weren't right, for the both of us. 

"I'll be alright, mom," I answered that way because it was the truth. 

Maybe being a kid was difficult at times...I was only eighteen, after all. I could handle this. It was just another part of growing up, really. I knew that with Lake partly out of the picture, it now gave me time to live my life my way, to play by my rules, and perhaps I would finally finish off my art project book for that final assignment deadline in early July.