CHAPTER 9

TODAY'S CHAPTER IS DEVOTED TO ALL THE BLACK LIVES WHO ARE/WERE TREATED UNEQUALLY OUT THERE! RACE IS DIVERSITY! BE THANKFUL TO THIS BEAUTIFUL DIVERSITY!

THE WORLD WOULD BE A BORING PLACE WITHOUT DIVERSITY.

#BLACKLIVESMATTER

ADRIANNA'S POV

"This is not how this works, Beth. You can't just show up out of nowhere at- what?- 6 in the morning and expect to be welcomed with flowers or some shit." My exasperated voice vibrates in the hall.

To be honest I don't give a flying shit about at what time she has arrived. I usually wake up at 5 on days I have class in the morning.
What I am troubled about is, though -why she has come here.

Chloe stands beside me with her jaw nearly touching the floor.

My sister has that effect on everyone.

"Oh sweet pea, I am your sister. And Bethany Summers." She quietly mummers the last part- probably hoping I don't catch it.

Me and Bethany don't have the best relationship in the world. 

Who am I kidding?  Our relationship is strained at its best.

 There was a time growing up when she was my best friend but once her acting career started flourishing- whatever special bond we shared took the backseat.

Not that I'm sour or anything about it...

She is a country famous actress. Our parents' pride, happiness. 

She is Bethany Summers. 

I am...just me- an awkward klutz who doesn't fit the mould of the ideal Summers. 

Who hasn't yet done anything significant to honor the legacy.

Bethany has always been the preferred sibling, so it is understandable she is a little high and mighty. 

"I know." I grit out.

"Then you should let me in. I would've stayed at a hotel. But I wanted to meet you...guys." She murmurs in her sweet as honey voice, smiling brightly to lure in Chloe with those tactics. 

"Oh- you wanted to meet us?" Chloe splutters in awe.

I think this is the first time I have seen this girl out of her sure and graceful demeanor.

Bethany shoots her another blinding smile before softly purring, "Of course honey..."

"What's the problem anyway?" Chloe finally mutters to me mutedly.

You don't know that. I want to fire back but resist.

No one from my family just comes to 'meet you'. They always has an ulterior motive. Always.
I've learned it the hard way over the years.

I glower at Bethany for a second before huffing out a breath and leading her to the living room.

"We don't really have a spare room or something. And neither of us are willing to share a room with you. " I inform sweetly, hoping she'd go away.

"Oh it's no issue." She waves her perfectly manicured hand dismissively as her eyes sweep across the floor, checking out the grey rug which I bought last summer.

The pricey thing in this house.

"Right..." I mutter before storming in my room to find spare blanket and pillow.

Mom must have sent her here. I bet my favorite pair of stilettoes on it. 

Swallowing my anger I walk into the living room with the spare pillow and blanket to find Chloe giggle over some Bethany's charmingly stupid jokes.

The heck Chloe? I want to yell at Chloe but instead just purse my lips at her disapprovingly.

But unfortunately she is painfully oblivious to my hard stare.

"Here. And take the couch." 

"Oh sweet pea, you're not going to come and have a chat with us? Look what a pleasant morning it is today. Mom would've loved it here-" 

"I don't care about what she loves." My eyes flash as my lips probably curl into an ugly snarl.

Why should I care about what mom loves when she can't find five minutes of her day to ring me up and at least act motherly? Or maybe even pick up the phone when I ring her. Apart from the occasional money gifts and school fee she barely even exists to me.

My angry side rarely comes up but when it does I can't restrain it.

Bethany's eyes get cold instantly as she mummers in her fake British accent coolly, "You've changed Adrianna Summers. So much."

Of course I have! And so has she. 

The last time we had a conversation of over two minutes was before the fame ate her up- When I was in high school. 

I'm not angry or jealous of her incredible acting resume. In fact I was the one who sent her hand written cards- congratulating her- the first few times she snagged a role in big shows and movies.

What a fool I was, back then.

 I don't reply and saunter to my room to get some reading done before the classes.

Fifteen minutes in and I've barely read a page.

The door to my room is shut and I can't hear anything through it.

Suddenly the door opens and I'm ready to unleash my years of anger on Bethany but quickly shut up when I see Chloe sit down on the bed in front of me.

"Of course come in. Uninvited. Without even having the decency to knock. I could've been changing for all you know." I mutter before closing the book.

"So? You have the same things I have." She rolls her eyes.

After a heartbeat of silence she speaks up.

"I'm sorry Ari." She drops her head for a second before meeting my eyes.

"Why-" I start, confused but hopeful.

Maybe she has realized what kind of bitch my sister actually is.

"For giving away your schedule to your sister."

"What the actual-"

"I swear, I didn't mean to. She just told me she'll probably help me build a modelling resume and snag a few rolls in advertisements. " She smiles sheepishly.

"Why did she want it?"

"Dunno. Said something about you guys drifting apart and her wanting to catch up with you..." She shrugs, shooting me a sad smile.

Of course. Well, too bad I'm no more interested in rekindling anything we had.

To some I might look like a bitchy, jealous and insecure sister but in reality it's much more deeper.

She threw away our relationship like it didn't mean anything to her. She was supposed to give sisterly advice in my most hard times- teenager years- but she would be barely around. And now it's like I never even knew her. She has changed so much.

...