chapter one

MADILYN HOLLEY

Tears welled up in my eyes and threatened to make their debut yet again as I walked up the steps, getting ready to stand before everyone and give my eulogy.  I couldn't bring myself to look up, to look out at everyone who was there to celebrate my brother, because I knew that if I did I would be too hysterical to finish. I paused for a few moments to take a deep breath and collect myself before I began reading the eulogy I had written and rewritten about 100 times before finally completing it.

"Alex was my best friend." I mumbled into the mic, "He was my best friend and my big brother, and there is no one in the world who I have looked up to more than I did him. He taught me compassion, he taught me to continually treat people with kindness, he helped me find my strength when I felt like I had none on my own. He was there for every high and every low. He wasn't the type of guy who felt bad for you when you were down, he was the type of guy who did something about it. He picked you up and helped you get back on your feet. He wouldn't leave you behind, he wouldn't leave anyone behind. He spent his whole life dedicated to helping others, and I know that if he had a second chance at life... I know he'd do it all over again."

I took in a shaky breath and paused again, gripping the podium tightly and watching as my knuckles turned white, reminding myself that I was almost done. All I had left to do was my song, but as I stood in front of them, my head hung low, I glanced up. I looked my mum in the eyes and she gave me a small nod, and it was exactly what I needed. I reached for my brother's guitar case which I had waiting on the stage for me and pulled out his most prized possession, his acoustic guitar that had meant so much to him.

"My brother and I love music, it's something we have always shared an interest in and been passionate about. This was Alex's guitar, he loved this thing more than anything." I said with a sigh, looking down at the guitar in my hands. I pulled the strap over my head and reached back down into the case to grab a pick.

"The song I'm about to play was one of our favorite songs, and one of his favorites to play. This song means so much to me because it constantly reminds me of him. Not only because we listened to it together, but because Alex really represented the song. He was someone who radiated positivity and sunlight everywhere he went. Alex wasn't just a bright and sunny person, Alex was the sun, and I know so many of you here with us today would agree that this song is the best way that I can honor him." I said, while a lone tear escaped and ran down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away and took another breath.

"I hope I don't butcher it bub." I whispered, looking up to talk to Alex, hoping that someway or somehow he was watching over me.

I began strumming the song and as soon as I did the crowd shifted, they knew the song and I could tell instantly that they felt the same as I did, knowing that this song was a beautiful representation of his life.

"Here comes the sun, doo-dun-doo-doo,
Here comes the sun, and I say
It's alright

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun, doo-dun-doo-doo
Here comes the sun, and I say
It's alright"

I continue strumming and look up to see my mum and dad holding each other as they sing along, tears pouring down their faces. It breaks my heart to see them like this, but I know how much this song means and I'm happy I'm getting to share it with everyone in this moment.

"Little darling, the smile's returning to their faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here