chapter four

MADILYN HOLLEY

Laughter surrounded me and it was almost weird how natural this felt. These people who I had never known before today, I already felt so comfortable around. I looked around at everyone's faces as we sat around the backyard lounge area, wanting to take it all in. This was the first night of my new life and I wanted to remember it.

Liam took a sip of his drink as he rolled his eyes at our laughter. "In my defense," he started, "I was a kid."

I laughed with a quick rebuttal, "Yeah, a weird one."

This made the group laugh even harder. I had just told everyone a story about when Liam and I were kids and how he used to always insist we played mermaids when we went to the pool. Everyone thought it was hilarious, everyone except Liam. He set down his beer with an evil look in his eyes and started walking towards me. Before I had the chance to react he scooped me up and threw me over his shoulder, walking away from the group. This made everyone laugh even harder.

"I'll save you!" shouted Harry, and I could see him jump to his feet.

"Don't even think about it Styles!" Liam yelled back as he took off running towards the pool. Harry was a quick runner and was behind Liam in no time, but he was too late to save me from what was about to happen.

"MY PHONE!" I shouted, holding it out with my left hand for Harry to take so it wouldn't get drenched, as I was sure I would soon be tossed in. He reached out and grabbed it and as our fingertips brushed I felt that little spark again. Two seconds later, I was underwater. I swam to the top and emerged to see Liam dying of laughter while Harry stood behind him.

"Wanna play mermaids?" Harry asked sarcastically. Liam turned around to face Harry with a confused look and before he could respond Harry smirked, shoving Liam backwards into the pool as well. By now Niall, Layla, and Mitch had all run over, and were standing alongside Harry laughing hysterically. When Liam resurfaced he shouted, "Harry Styles I'm gonna kick your ass!"

Harry's eyes widened as he saw Liam start for the edge of the pool. He took off running but tripped and fell, giving Liam enough time to catch up to him. How this boy was so clumsy I don't know but there was literally nothing on the ground for him to trip on, so we all had a laugh when he fell.

"Give me a hand!" He shouted as he grabbed Harry's legs. Mitch and Niall ran over and helped him lift Harry and carried him to the pool. Harry tried to escape but the three men holding him wouldn't allow it.

"Any final words?" Liam asked smugly, knowing he was about to drop Harry in just as Harry did to him.

"You make a shitty mermaid." Harry said to Liam before being dropped into the deep end. I was now sitting on the opposite edge of the pool watching the whole scene play out with Layla, both of our feet dangling in the water. The only difference was that I was now fully drenched while she remained dry. I took off my crew neck and was now just wearing a cropped tank top and my shorts, because the wet crew neck felt so gross to wear.

"Not cool." Harry said to Niall and Mitch as they laughed with Liam. He reached out his hands for them to help him out and they each took one, ready to pull him up and out of the pool, but Harry had other plans. In one swift motion he pulled both Niall and Mitch into the pool and was smirking quite proudly. Layla and I were cracking up at the scene that played out in front of us. She looked so radiant, her gorgeous long blonde hair curled down her back and her brown eyes glowing. No wonder Mitch was so smitten with her, she was stunning.

"What are you laughing at babe?" Mitch said as he turned around to see Layla and I sitting on the edge. She was the only person who had not been pushed or pulled in, and you could tell by the look on her face that she knew she was next.