chapter fourteen

MADILYN HOLLEY

"What are you thinking?" Harry questioned quietly as he glanced over at me from the drivers seat.

To be honest, I didn't know what to say. What was I thinking? I had so many thoughts running through my head that I couldn't even focus in on one single thought to share. What if I was pregnant? What would I do? What would Harry think? How would I explain to my parents? How soon would Liam be at Harry's front door ready to kill him? But what if I wasn't? What if I was late for some other reason? What if I had gotten all worked up over being late that I ruined Harry and I's friendship forever? What if he never wanted to speak to me again? How would I live without this kindhearted and caring boy in my life?

I felt the tears begin looking into my eyes as I pondered all of the what if's and tried my hardest not to let them fall, sucking in a deep breath as I attempted to calm myself down.

"Madilyn?" He whispered as he stole another glance, his face falling when his eyes met mine. "Hey, it's gonna be okay love. I promise."

He reached over and took my hand in his, interlacing our fingers. He began stroking the back of my hand with his thumb in an effort to console me but it only made it hurt worse. This boy, holding my hand as we drove in the car, this was all I could have ever asked for, and yet the circumstances made this moment so frustratingly painful.

"Don't make promises you can't keep." I mumbled as I removed my hand from his and glanced out the window.

"I mean it." He said firmly, but with sincerity dripping from his tone. "No matter what happens it will all be okay. I will be here for you through it all Mads, and I will support you all the way. Whether you are or aren't, I'll support you. If you are, then I'll support any decision you make. I'm not going anywhere, I promise. I am here for you Mads. Always."

I turned my head to see a small smile on his face and could tell by the tone of his voice that he really meant what he said, but it didn't stop the doubt that was swirling through my mind. He held a hand out to me and I hesitated for a moment before placing my hand back in his. We drove silently the rest of the way as he rubbed his thumb in circles over the back of my hand. Once we reached the store I began to unbuckle my seatbelt before he stopped me.

"Let me go in Mads, it's the least I can do." He pleaded.

"Harry you can't go in there, it's too risky." I responded as I shook my head at him.

"It's not too risky, we both have a following and we both have careers in the public eye. Either way one of us could be spotted, so what's the difference?" He asked.

"The difference is that you are teen heartthrob Harry Styles of infamous boyband One Direction. Everyone in the world knows who you are, and my career is making YouTube videos. It's very different Harry, and I can't let you go in there for me. If I get recognized, which I most likely won't, people would still have no clue who I could have slept with. You on the other hand, if you got caught buying pregnancy tests the media would have a frenzy and your fans wouldn't stop until they figured out who you're sleeping with." I replied.

"Sleeping with?" He questioned with a glint of something unknown in his eyes.

"Oh, I-" I stuttered. "You know what I meant."

"Yeah." He responded with a sigh.

"Okay so I'm going in, I'll be back in a minute okay? Please just wait out here." I requested as I opened the door. He gave me a small nod and I quickly exited the car and made my way into the store.

It was definitely foreign territory searching through all the pregnancy tests. I had never purchased one before, and I wasn't quite sure what brand or type would be best. I ended up buying three different types because I was too embarrassed to be standing on the isle any longer reading the boxes, and I hurried back out to the car as fast as I could.