chapter seventeen

MADILYN HOLLEY

"Do you think this is too much?" I asked nervously as I looked in the mirror at my outfit.

"You're joking right?" Layla asked as she hopped onto the bathroom counter. "You're a total smoke show, Harry is going to lose his shit when he sees you."

I turned to face the mirror again and admire my outfit. I had on a blush pink silk tank top that I tucked into a denim skirt and cinched off with a thin black belt. It was definitely a cute outfit, but I wasn't quite sure if the outfit was a little over the top for a first date.

"What if I just put the black jeans back on?" I pleaded.

"No! This outfit is perfect Madi! You have to wear it." Layla stated.

I rolled my eyes at her persistence and reached for my necklace that Tess and I always wore and slipped it on before grabbing my rings. Layla picked up the curling wand and began curling my hair, something she had begged me to do since she wanted me to look perfect for my first date with Harry. I was getting pretty nervous, even though I already knew it would go well, I just couldn't turn my brain off for some reason.

"What time is it?" Layla asked.

"6:45." I responded.

"Shit! We only have fifteen minutes!" She shouted as she curled my hair at an alarming speed. Somehow it still managed to look perfect, which I will never understand how she could do that because it usually took me at least half an hour to do. She finished in just under ten minutes and ran downstairs to grab the mini black leather backpack she was letting me borrow for tonight.

"Okay, you look absolutely perfect. Here's the bag, I'm gonna get out of here before Harry shows up. I love you girl, text me later tonight and let me know how things went! Or don't... if you're too busy." She said with a wink.

I shoved her playfully before telling her I'd text her later and I thanked her for letting me borrow the bag and for doing my hair. I heard Layla bounce down the stairs only seconds later. I turned around and saw Layla's phone sitting on the counter and quickly grabbed it to run after her. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I stopped, seeing Layla standing there with the door wide open, revealing a very handsome Harry Styles standing in my doorway. I couldn't take my eyes off of him, but it seemed like he could take his eyes off of me either. I was frozen for a moment before I remembered why I had chased Layla down the stairs.

"Uh, you forgot your phone." I said to Layla as I handed it to her.

"Oh thanks." She replied as she tossed it into her purse. "Alright lovebirds, I'm gonna head out."

We both muttered our goodbyes to her as she left and I moved to the door to greet Harry.

"Hi." I breathed out.

"Hi." He replied with a dazzling smile. "You look stunning, darling."

"Thank you, Harry." I replied. "I'd say you look pretty stunning yourself."

"I brought you these." He said as he held out a vase of gorgeous pink roses. "I went ahead and put them in a vase since I figured you may not have one."

"They're beautiful." I mumbled, in awe of how perfect they looked. "Thank you."

I put them on the dining table and turned to face Harry again, who was already staring at me quite intently. He looked like he had been caught though, and he started blushing a bit as his gaze moved to the floor.