chapter two

MADILYN HOLLEY

Just three short months after the funeral, I had gathered up most of my life into a few small boxes. I had most of my things shipped to Liam's house so I'd only be bringing one suitcase with on the plane, although there wasn't much to ship considering my newfound lack of belongings after the accident. My parents were fully supportive of my move and wanted me to find my happiness, and I was ecstatic about the chance at having new beginning. My best girl friend Tess and I had been having a sleepover almost all week because we knew it would be a bit before we saw each other again. I was going to miss her like crazy too, but she promised to come visit me soon and I was happy at the thought of that.

On the morning of my flight I had a big breakfast with my parents and Tess, and said my goodbyes to my them after breakfast before Tess and I left my parents and their new home behind to head towards the airport. I figured it would be easier on my mum if she didn't have to say bye there in front of all of those people, and I was right in doing so because she was a wreck. I promised her I would be back to visit soon though since her birthday was about three months away, and she replied that she and dad would be counting down the days until I came home. Tess and I listened to music and jammed out to our hearts content on the drive, knowing we wouldn't get to do this for awhile. A smirk found it's way onto my face when she played the final song as we approached the airport.

"Really Tess? One Direction?" I asked, as the intro to Best Song Ever played through the stereo.

"What? I thought it was fitting since you're about to move in with one of their members!" She said, laughing hysterically. I laughed along with her and we sang at the top of our lungs until we were at the drop off. We quickly jumped out to grab my bag and exchange our final goodbyes.

"I'm gonna miss you Tess." I said, tears threatening to pour from my eyes.

"Miss you more babe." She said, giving me another tight squeeze before backing away.

I gave her a small wave as I began backing towards the doors and shouted, "I'll see you soon! You're coming to visit ASAP!" and she only replied with an excited nod, I could see that she was trying not to cry in front of me. She's so strong. She always has been, and I've always admired her for it. Tears fell from my eyes as I blew her a kiss and walked through the doors, out of her line of sight. It feels a little wrong leaving London, but I know it will be so good for me. My parents are here, my best friend is here, and this was my brothers home. I keep reminding myself that I am about to make a life for myself and find happiness out in the world, but it doesn't make leaving any easier.

I quickly made my way through security and to my gate, just in time to hear a woman say over the intercom, "Flight 0201 to Los Angeles is now boarding."

The excitement, anxiousness, and fear all creep in at that moment and I realize that I am actually moving to an entirely new country. I step in line to board and a few moments later have found my seat, and I'm immediately thankful I purchased a window seat. The next day or so of traveling was long. Way too long. But at 10:17 AM on June 23, 2016 my plane landed safely in Los Angeles, California, and as I looked out the window all of my fear left my body and I was only filled with excitement.

As I excited the plane I pulled out my phone and immediately called Liam. "Lee I'm here! I'm really here!" I shouted.

"I know! I'm so excited! Did you just land?" He asked.

"Yeah, I just hopped off the plane at LAX..." I said, slightly singing the line.

"No way, I didn't know I was picking up THE MILEY CYRUS from the airport!" He said, teasing my line.