Ariana Grande

Souvenirs

I clicked a photo of a random child munching on his sandwich. Inspecting the photo on my camera, I huffed in disappointment. The photo turned out to be a little less on the spot than I intended it to. That photo in my assignment won't stand out from anybody else's.

Hitting delete, I brought the camera closer to my eyes and clicked another picture. Didn't stop to check it, knowing already it was nothing too special, I clicked a few more randomly.

This week's assignment was given to us by my anxious photography addict professor who made it clear that he can't wait for us to do our magic. The topic was simple- tourists. I expected to see the typical type of tourists.

The family- where the two kids didn't care about their surroundings but more about their food, their mother dying to have a photo clicked of her entire family together but weary of her children's brattiness and as for the father, he was busy talking business calls. I also expected the dumb duo of American guys, all they want to do is annoy as many people they can with their obnoxiousness. Or maybe the female models traveling to another part of the globe to feed their travel blogs.

But the sight was nothing like that.

In front of the famous Effile Tower were just a group of scattered normal people. None of them stood out, none of them fit into the stereotypes.

Tired, I decided to go to the nearest café to have a coffee and then head back home.

I walked a block away from the monument and saw a fancy looking café. Entering, I got claustrophobic due to the number of people stuffed in one single room. There was no unoccupied booth neither chairs. The café was filled with people from all walks of life.

I was greeted by a waitress who led me upstairs. She disappeared out of my sight as soon as we arrive on the balcony. The open-air seemed a little serene. There were fewer people and fewer booths but most of them were filled.

I marched to the woman sitting alone, facing her back towards me. Reaching her, I started off gentle not to scare her off.

"Hey, is this seat taken?"

The woman turned around and shook her head, smiling at me. Her small face was diligently covered with huge sunglasses as she sat there, unbothered, sipping on what I could guess from the aroma was tea. She looked like one of those models with aesthetic Instagram accounts. I wonder how many followers she would be having.

I sat down with a huff. I took this time to check out my work so far which seemed to be nothing special. I sighed, deciding to start again after some time.

"You're a photographer?"

It couldn't be her smooth angelic voice that intimidated me slightly, it was her unusually big shades.

"Yes," I smiled shyly.

She was wearing a dark beret that looked good with her white short dress. She appeared to be rich and fancy while I was the opposite. I wore a pair of light camel trousers and a red printed shirt. I could, gratefully, afford presentable clothes although my current choice of outfit wouldn't be anywhere near the top. I moved from my parents' house with little savings and lived off their money until I could hold myself together.

It must have been the way she was sitting- or any other factor- that made her look so photogenic. I've worked with a few aspiring models, most of them are my friends, and I knew who looked naturally good in photos and who didn't. And the tan woman sitting in front of me would look like a professional model if she put some effort into it.

The beret made her look like a tourist because unlike the stereotype, we locals don't wear them everywhere we go. Moreover, she had a pretty American accent.