Chapter 1

For as long as he could remember, people always whispered about how strange Lunan's family was, but he failed to see it. He had loving parents: his mother, Michelle, was a housewife, and his father, Robert, owned a metaphysical shop. They lived in a two-story house in semi-rural New England. According to his mother, he was born in a town called Winfair, but they had to move away for safety reasons. He went to school like any other child, and although Michelle was strict concerning her son's academics, she also recognized his efforts, often rewarding him with pizza upon doing exceptionally well in class. Robert would play catch with his son and bring him to the park on weekends. They really were a normal family.

That was, except for the fact that Lunan's parents worshiped Lucifer.

Although they were quiet about their worship, talk spread quickly in small towns, so most residents were aware of the Frost household's religious inclination. They feared his family for a while, but when neither plague nor disaster claimed the small town of Ridgeway within their years of residence, they deemed the Frosts safe enough, if not a bit unusual. Lunan's family may have been odd, but he loved them deeply.

One day upon returning from school, Lunan was surprised to see his father home, as he usually operated his store until the evening. After greeting him and grabbing a clementine from the fruit bowl, he mentioned, "Dad, Arjun told me that his parents are Hindi, and so he's a Hindi, too. If you and mom are Luciferian, why aren't I?"

Lunan shied back when his father got a faraway look in his eyes and they flashed briefly in anger. When he regained his senses, Robert softened his gaze and smiled at his son apologetically.

"Your mother and I believe in freedom, and that includes the freedom to choose who you serve."

"Religion is a big deal," Michelle's voice trailed from the living room. "You want to make sure you're really happy with who you devote your soul to."

"My soul?" the boy asked, his heterochromatic eyes widening. His parents usually avoided discussing spiritual matters with him outright.

Robert tapped his son's chest. "Yes, your soul. It's here yet not here, and it's very important to every person."

"I think I understand."

His parents shared a glance before Michelle beckoned Lunan. He turned from his father and joined her on the settee.

"Do you know what's a week from today?" she asked him.

Lunan thought hard, then gasped and smiled wide at the realization. "My tenth birthday! What about it?"

"It's a very special day for all of us this year. There's something important we plan to tell you then, but we can't do so here."

"Are we going on a road trip or something?"

Michelle laughed. "Something like that."

Lunan was so excited on the morning of his birthday that he woke up before his alarm. Even so, he stayed in bed and waited on his mother to wake him for the day. He was able to hear her morning prayer, but noticed a minor addition to its conclusion.

"Magna Luciferi, keep us in your thoughts on this most significant of days," she implored somberly.

Lunan frowned. He didn't recall his mother saying special prayers on his previous birthdays. His curiosity vanished when she burst in the room and wished him a happy birthday. He decided he would ask her about it later.

He had a great day, of which he recanted to his parents later that afternoon over dinner. His classmates appreciated the chocolate cupcakes he bought for them, and he was pleasantly surprised when his teacher gifted him a brand new book. Although he appreciated the present, the greatest gift that day was having both of his parents present for once. However, as the day ended, Lunan noted that they had stayed home the entire time instead of going out like his mother mentioned.