Chapter 16

Lunan stared at Elena.

You're not human, for starters.

He hated how her words shook him through his core, despite his confidence in his humanity. Although many years passed since their deaths, Lunan knew that both his mother and father were human. Magical, but still human.

"Why would you say that? I'm clearly human, Elena," Lunan said.

He was dismayed when she shook her head.

"No, Lunan. You're not," Elena said. "I have proof. I have a copy of the book in my bedroom back home. We should head over there now. Bellara has maintained the illusion for a while and I don't want to tire her out."

"Why should I even trust what you're saying? You've known me for half of my life, and now you're spouting nonsense about me not being human."

Elena laughed sharply, but her eyes reflected sorrow.

"It's because you've known me for half of your life that you should trust me. I'm the only one who has nothing to gain here. Please, Lunan. After I tell you everything, it's fine if you don't want to associate with me. But I'm not going to sit on this information. It's not fair to you," she said.

Lunan scrutinized Elena, and she looked right at him, her arms laying relaxed at her sides. He berated himself. If he was so sure in his humanity, going to her house this final time shouldn't be a problem.

"Alright," he conceded. "I'll come with you."

Relief broke through her expression. Elena called Bellara back, held Lunan's hand in a light grip, and then teleported them to her bedroom.

She released him from her grip once they appeared in the room and went to her desk. She pulled a nondescript book from it and held it out to him.

"I don't know if I should just tell you, or if you should read it yourself," she wondered aloud.

"And what is this, exactly?" he asked, eyeing the book curiously as he noted its lack of a title.

She took a deep breath.

"This, Lunan, is the Prophecy of Abaddon. Your prophecy. I think you should read it for yourself." She placed the book in his hands. He flipped through the blank pages, and was about to complain when she added, "Right. The pages are blank on purpose. You need to enchant your eyes to read the text."

Lunan did so with a flourish, and sat on Elena's bed after she nodded, glowing eyes skimming over the title The Prophecy of Abaddon, King of Locusts.

Its contents froze his blood.

King of Locusts. Destroyer of Worlds. Lord of the Abyss. The destructive angel has many epithets, but is most commonly known as Abaddon, or Apollyon to the Greeks. Wielding his destructive power for either Heaven or Hell, he will raise his scythe and command his army of locusts to do his bidding. He is the angel of destruction, the bringer of balance and resolution.

Abaddon's sheer destructive power prevents his manifestation into the mortal plane without the existence of a host to contain his angelic grace. In order to summon the Destroyer, a boy must be born of a high priestess of either the light or dark faiths and a sorcerer that has mastered the elements. Upon the vessel's conception, in union with Abaddon's dual nature, he must undergo his Light and Dark years. During the Light, innocent to the world and ignorant of his abilities, is when he faces the possibility of destruction by outside forces. In the Dark, the vessel cannot perish, and Abaddon's powers will gradually awaken in the child, beginning to manifest through his angelic markings.