Chapter 5

Ever since that Halloween night, Lunan ceased his attempts to learn magic. As he failed to determine what went wrong, he tried to shove the memory away. When he posted about what happened in the forums he frequented, he received a range of responses, from those doubting the incident's validity, to others dismissing what occurred as bad juju. A few people theorized that if Lunan's experience was true, that it might have to do with coming from a magical bloodline. Although unpracticed himself, it was the soundest reasoning he read thus far.

Of course, a few people insisted he really was a son of Satan. Lunan ignored their theories at first, but given the unexplainable events that happened to him, he begrudgingly considered the idea. However, he never heard of Satan having sons, and he looked like his parents. The only thing that distinguished him from them was his heterochromia, and that was hardly a supernatural phenomenon. Although he considered their theories, Lunan dismissed them as rubbish with a mix of fear and incredulity.

Regardless of Lunan's desire to will the spirits away, as the previous year faded into the next, he greeted it with the Halloween spirits in tow. He thought their appearance was a fluke, but sometime after Samhain, they reappeared, seeming to have overcome the veil. Although they weren't malicious, Lunan was disturbed by their strange attraction to him, especially because they manifested at random. Nothing he tried could dispel them, and so he was forced to adjust to their presence. With most of his attention divided between school and evading Heather's friends, he was able to ignore them for the most part. This strategy worked until they started talking to him.

The first time was on a cold winter day. Mary sent the children outside for some fresh air following a storm the previous night. The ground was afresh with white powder, and Lunan anticipated feeling the cold seep into his skin when he played with the snow. Watching the other children form small groups refreshed memories of him and Arjun playing together. He tried to not sigh as he walked alone. The snow was too soft to build a snowman, but Lunan didn't let that stop him from trying. He molded the snow beneath his gloves and made a rounded layer. Lunan smiled as he struggled with the snow and the world faded around him as he focused on his project.

He was so engrossed with building the snowman that he failed to notice the encroaching shadow until it blackened the snow before him. His face fell when he turned around. Heather stood behind him, her trademark grin affixed to her face.

"Having fun?" she asked.

Lunan kept his mouth shut and stared at her blankly, knowing that punishment came with any answer he provided. Her eyes narrowed in response to his silence.

"Are you having fun?" she repeated louder. Her foot twitched in annoyance, and Lunan cringed at the thought of her using it to launch snow at his face. He knew she would keep asking him until he responded.

"Yes," he finally answered.

Heather's smile spread and Lunan frowned again. Anything he did would offend her, but he was tired of allowing her to control him. He turned his back to her and examined his progress.

She snickered darkly. "Can't have that," she muttered.

Before he could react, Lunan was surrounded by the cold, the snow stinging his face. Heather not only knocked Lunan into the snow, she also held him down and pressed him into the powdery expanse. Everything was dark as his body drowned out the snow's color. Lunan tried to draw in a calming breath, but he was unable, gasping as the soft snow grew compact under his and Heather's combined weight.

Lunan panicked. He flailed his hands and feet wildly, hoping the movements would startle Heather enough to release him, but she tightened her hold. Lunan seethed when he heard her telltale laughter. However, his anger shifted to worry as he ran out of air. His movements slowed, and he wondered if he would pass out, or if this would kill him. After surviving a demented angel's attempt at his life, it would be asphyxiation via snow of all things to end him.