Chapter 15

After overcoming her initial shock concerning the true identity of her best friend's guardian, Gadreel, Elena, and Bellara drafted ideas on how to draw Lunan from Azrah's influence. Gadreel did most of the planning, for which Elena was grateful. She wanted Lunan back, but wasn't sure how to go about doing so, especially since he was still ignoring her. Gadreel preferred a practical approach, wanting to capitalize on their guardian-ward relationship and using the boy's trust to influence him. Once he planted the seed of doubt in Lunan's mind, it was up to Elena to find a way to approach him.

While Elena appreciated Gadreel's guidance, she disliked his insistence on keeping his identity from Lunan and his refusal to tell her why he watched over him in the first place. But she wanted her friend back and would do whatever it took. Besides, it wasn't as if she couldn't do her own research.

Gadreel put his plan to action the same day that Elena left, as he knew time was of the essence.

"Welcome back," he greeted as Lunan unlocked the door. Gadreel donned his human glamour once more, although he wished he could finally dispel it. His brief time talking to Elena reminded him of how much he missed being himself.

"Thanks," Lunan replied as he removed his shoes. He started to go up the stairs, but his guardian's voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Can you come here for a moment? I want to ask you about something."

Lunan shrugged and went to the living room. He sat down as per his guardian's request.

"How was your day?" Gadreel asked him. "You were out for a while."

"It was fine. I just hung out with Azrah."

Gadreel hummed over a sip of tea. "You've been spending a lot of time with her. Why does she never come over?"

Lunan frowned. "I'm not sure. I've invited her before, but she said she doesn't feel comfortable going to other people's houses. I think it has to do with her not being from here. She's still adjusting."

Gadreel's eyes flashed in amusement. "An interesting reason. Speaking of friends, when's the last time Elena has been over? I miss seeing her here. Have you spent time with her lately?"

He didn't miss the way Lunan's eyes narrowed upon mentioning her name before the boy schooled his features.

"We don't really talk anymore. We had a falling out," he said flatly.

"What a shame. Over what?"

"I guess you can say we've butt heads over ideological differences. It became too much, and I don't think we're compatible anymore."

"You're throwing your friendship away over a mere difference in ideology?" Gadreel said, not bothering to hide the disappointment in his voice.

"She's the one that kicked me out of her house," Lunan scoffed.

Gadreel made a sympathetic sound. "Noted. I think you should still reconsider what happened and see if this is what you really want."

"What do you mean?" He looked at his guardian uneasily.

"I have been your guardian for about half of your life, Lunan. I remember you were timid and nervous for a while, but you changed for the better after befriending Elena. You smiled so much more freely and you seemed more confident in yourself. If I can offer my advice as your guardian, I think that your friendship is worth preserving. I know you're only in high school and that there is always the possibility of meeting new people, but Elena is something special, Lunan."

"Thanks for the advice, Gabriel," Lunan said. "I'm going upstairs now."

His guardian nodded and watched Lunan ascend the staircase. He could practically see the gears spinning in his charge's head.