Chapter 7

Lunan told Gabriel about his loneliness and bullying, and Gabriel listened. It wasn't until the words started flowing that Lunan realized how much he missed the company of another. The first time that they talked on that warm summer day, Lunan flushed after Gabriel's departure. But when the man returned and seemed no less interested in the boy's words, his nervousness faded. Gabriel was content in listening, choosing to divulge little information about himself. Although Lunan appreciated having a confidant, he worried about dominating the conversation. He mentioned his concern to Gabriel during one of their talks.

"I'd rather listen to you, Lunan. You have a lot to say and no one here to share it with. Part of being friends is hearing out the other's problems," he answered easily.

Lunan smirked. "Oh, we're friends? How presumptuous of you."

Gabriel matched his expression. "I'm not here to be a therapist, so I'd like to think that we're becoming friends." Lunan laughed, appreciating the snark.

Lunan and Gabriel reconvened at various locations, one of their favorites being the local ice cream shop. Gabriel liked it for their selection, and Lunan liked it because it was there that he had the confidence to direct their conversations. Although Lunan accepted Gabriel's reserved nature, he eventually got him to open up. He learned that Gabriel was in his late twenties and made his living through calculated investments and a healthy inheritance. He came from a large family, but wasn't close with his siblings. He could retire now if he wanted, having already amassed a comfortable fortune, but he worked from home as a programmer to keep himself engaged.

They were at the ice cream shop the day when Lunan asked Gabriel about his thoughts on family. He hoped Gabriel would be willing to answer, but wouldn't push him.

Thankfully, he was willing, and after eating another scoop of mint, he answered, "I've thought about settling down and starting a family, but I struggle with forming real relationships. I decided that I shouldn't have to wait for a partner before forming one, and that's why I started visiting orphanages."

"And yet since meeting me, you haven't visited other orphanages, nor have you taken interest in anyone else at Higgins'."

"I thought my intentions were clear by now, but I'll be blunt," Gabriel said with a smile. "I'd like to adopt you."

Lunan's heart swelled then sank. The images of kind faces and warm smiles uttering those same words swirled through his mind. The frustration from Mary informing him of their abandonment soon followed. Gabriel's eyes flickered to the cone breaking within Lunan's tight grip. Lunan carefully loosened his hold. He wanted nothing more than to leave that place, but he didn't want the ghosts to harm Gabriel.

"I'd like that very much," Lunan said with a sigh. "But I can't accept your offer with good conscience knowing what happens to everyone who has made similar promises."

"Explain." Gabriel set his cup aside.

Lunan turned to look out the window, afraid of what might lurk in Gabriel's eyes after his explanation. "You're not the first person to take interest in adopting me. Every other person who has turned their backs on me during the process. It wasn't because they suddenly lost interest, but because they were affected by something. They would get bad dreams and omens, and things would start going wrong in their lives." He paused, thinking of Heather. "I can't explain why, but I firmly believe that I'm the cause of their unease."

"Is that why you hid in the library when I first visited the orphanage, or were you particularly repulsed by me?"

Lunan snorted in spite of himself. "It wasn't you. I thought it was better to stay away from others." He chanced a look at Gabriel and was surprised to see the clarity there, his expression open.