Chapter 18

Lunan opened his eyes when he felt the chill winds wisp over his skin. For the first time in a while, he felt at ease. Pain didn't lance through his body, and his mind was pleasantly still. He glanced over the space; the mountain's greenness was brighter than in his dreams, and he could make out colorful fish swimming in the glacial river. Part of him wanted to remain in this space indefinitely, but he knew what had to be done. The power within him wouldn't remain placid for too long.

"I call you, angels. Azrael, Gadreel, come to me." He had no idea if it would work, but he still called to them with confidence. He smiled slightly as both appeared before him within moments.

"You called both of us." Azrael was the first to speak. She glared at Gadreel openly.

"Yes, because I'm making my decision now," he told them. Her gaze shifted to Lunan. 

"Then why are we both here? Our presence isn't needed," Gadreel remarked, saying what the other angel thought.

"Because you're representatives of Heaven and Hell. Both of you betrayed my trust, but I want to settle our differences so that I can make my decision with a clear conscience."

Azrael tensed and Gadreel frowned.

"Can you go first, Gadreel?" The angel nodded solemnly. "This is the last time I'll see you as Lunan, so let me see your true form."

Gadreel acquiesced and revealed himself with a flash of dazzling light. Large black wings sprouted from his back, contrasting with unnaturally pale skin. He looked at Lunan with claret colored eyes.

"I'm no longer touched by God. That is why my true appearance is as such," he explained.

He rolled his eyes at the horrified look Azrael gave him. Lunan merely nodded. His guardian's appearance startled him, but it wasn't revulsion that he felt.

"Why did you never tell me the truth about my nature? Why allow me to live in ignorance for all of these years?" he finally asked.

Gadreel took a deep breath, his wings shuddering with the motion.

"In all honesty, I wanted nothing to do with you at first."

Lunan struggled to meet his gaze. He let the hurt show openly, but said nothing. Gadreel quickly amended.

"Not in the way you're thinking, Lunan. I have no hatred for you, but you must understand that I didn't want to involve myself in this prophecy because I don't even serve Hell to begin with. Although I'm no longer touched by Heaven, my allegiance lies with Lucifer, not Satan. He and I are lovers."

That statement left Lunan with many questions. In fact, he was more confused now than ever. Azrael interjected before he could inquire further.

"You're even worse than I thought. An angel's only love is for Father. It's impossible for us to love any other being," she said.

"It's possible when you realize that Father is not who he has deceived us to believe," he countered.

"You're the one who was beguiled, Gadreel."

Lunan interrupted the pair.

"If you're allied with Lucifer and had no concern for the prophecy, why did you come for me all of those years ago?"

A pained look flitted across Gadreel's face.

"It's because I want to be reunited with him. After the Fall, every member of my sect called the Watchers, and Lucifer, were exiled to Hell. It's Satan's domain. I managed to avoid capture and have been wandering the earth ever since. Satan doesn't want to fight Abaddon, and so if you choose his side, he promised to free Lucifer and the others. We don't care for the battle; we have a different fight in mind," he explained.