Gadreel's Fall

[Bonus chapter]

Gadreel sat in the midst of a forest, the image of angelic perfection. His legs were crossed beneath him and his white wings draped elegantly, the edges brushing against the earth as he prayed. He did so often, as the action allowed him to connect with Father, and he could transport his spiritual body to his home in the seventh heaven while his physical form remained on the planet. Despite the kingdom still reeling from the aftermath of Lucifer's expulsion, he missed his home dearly.

He hoped to return soon, but he was unaware of when he and his brethren would get the opportunity. Although Earth was beautiful and the animals often amused him, Gadreel saw little reason for his placement there. He didn't understand why he and two hundred of the Grigori were whisked from their various stations to observe the ambling of the only two humans in existence. When he received his assignment, Gadreel hoped he could at least teach the humans how to craft weapons or show them what plants could enhance their beauty. But the seraphim were strict and decreed that the angels weren't to impart any heavenly knowledge onto the couple.

Gadreel quickly grew bored of watching Adam and Eve, and made a habit of wandering the planet, occasionally flying to different climates for a change of scenery. Until something more interesting than Adam naming another animal happened, Gadreel saw little point in noting their every move.

His trip to Heaven was brief, as his preoccupation concerning the humans broke his concentration. Gadreel breathed deeply, absorbing the earthly air and reinvigorating his body. He froze mid breath, eyes opening to slits and nostrils flaring. He sensed an unearthly presence, familiar but off, despite the being's attempt at suppressing its aura. Gadreel unfolded himself and stood at his full height.

"Whatever you are, you have my attention. Reveal yourself and declare your business," he called out to the forest.

The soft wind rustling through the trees was his answer. His wings flapped haughtily in agitation. Gadreel opened his palm, and with a brief release of energy, materialized one of his angelic weapons.

"I am Gadreel, chief Watcher of War. I will destroy this forest and your person if you refuse to show yourself," he declared. He then began charging the polearm and it glowed with a white light.

He would regret ruining this land, but he would seek out Chazaquiel and his knowledge to restore the area. He readied the halberd, prepared to release its energy, when a smooth voice froze him to the bone and broke his concentration.

"That won't be necessary, Gadreel."

Gadreel's weapon arm tightening was the only outward inclination of his unease as the voice's owner walked through the treeline.

His appearance was unsettling, as he was still donned in heavenly armor despite his fallen status. His hair was still dirty blond and cascaded down his back, but that was where his similarity to Gadreel ended. Gadreel's eyes narrowed as he noted the armor's blackened hue, unaware that it could change to such a color. His skin was extremely pale as it was no longer touched by Heaven's light. Crimson invaded his irises and they were lit with an eerie glow. Most jarring were his wings. While they were still the four massive appendages signaling his archangel status, they seemed to absorb the light, so black were his feathers.

"What business do you have with me, traitor?" Gadreel said. He should have ran him through where he stood, but despite the monstrous appearance of the being before him, Gadreel still recognized him as kin.

"I mean you no harm, Gadreel. I only wish to talk," Lucifer replied. He sounded sincere, which only further incensed the Watcher.

"You are the last angel I'd wish to talk to, if you even still hold such a title," he spat.