Chapter 2

At hearing the angel's declaration, Michelle sprang into action. She pushed Lunan behind her and immediately erected a flame barrier. She cursed inwardly, knowing she was already at a loss, the ritual having burnt through most of her reserves. She could hold her own versus a weaker angel on a good day, but never against one as powerful as this. She fought against her desire to weep and focused on her son.

"Cease this madness," she pleaded. "Your presence is warping the mortal plane! You weren't ordered to come here."

"Crafty priestess, aren't you?" the angel noted, ignoring Michelle's plea. She struck the barrier experimentally with her sword. It held, but the flames diminished in number. "The only madness here was your attempt to bring the boy to the Underworld. I could not allow this wickedness to continue."

"Surely you must be aware of the prophecy," Michelle reasoned, tears streaming as she frantically poured more energy into replenishing the barrier.

Lunan stared at the trimming on his mother's cloak to the avoid the angel's gaze. His nails dug into his arms as he hugged himself, trying to drown out their exchange. Nothing made sense to him. Angels were supposed to be good, yet one just killed his father and was threatening his life. He knew his mother was barely maintaining the barrier between them and death. He wanted to cry, but he feared the angel's reaction, so he tugged on his mother's cloak with a low whine instead.

The angel made a disgusted noise. "He is far too powerful. Heaven cannot afford for the Destroyer to choose rebellion."

Michelle bristled in realization, her face reddening in anger. "That is not for you to decide! You killed my husband. You intend to kill me too, and orphan my child. I know who you are, Ravager. This isn't your domain, and the seraphim won't let this act go unpunished."

The angel's eyes narrowed to slits. "You talk too much."

She struck at the barrier with far more force than before, slamming her sword into the wall of flames. The fire trembled and dimmed with every impact of the blade. The angel looked down at the pair with unmasked disdain.

"What a shame. One of the strongest priestesses in millennia, yet this is all of the strength you can muster. I almost wish you were at full power."

Michelle collapsed. She saw the cracks in the barrier, but the edges of her vision blurred upon attempting to force more energy into it. She knew it couldn't stand another hit, and cried out as the angel swung her blade again, making the sword pause in its arc.

"Please, spare my son! He is innocent," she begged, hanging her head in submission.

The angel considered Michelle before replying, "I will not slay him outright, as his innocence rings true, but he comes with me."

"Where will you take him?"

Lunan shook his head sharply, tugging harder on his mother's cloak. He leaned towards her to talk over the persistent screeching.

"Mom, don't."

Michelle risked glancing behind her, chest constricting at the sight of her child. Dried blood caked his ears and tear stains marred his cheeks. She ran a tired hand through his black hair.

"I have to keep you safe, Lunan, no matter what. That's what mothers do." She kissed his forehead and pulled away from him with a sad smile.

Before he could protest, Michelle shoved him away from her and encased him in a small, but dense flame barrier. As she protected him, the barrier surrounding her fell, exposing her to the Ravager.

The angel raised a single immaculate brow. "You've finally realized the futility of fighting the Lord's messenger."

"Just tell me your intentions," Michelle snapped, raising her head to glare at the creature.