Chapter 12

Lunan kept the details of his strange dream to himself.

Following the hubbub of the first week, he settled into the usual school routine. Because it was his senior year, the workload was heavier than ever, which was a constant source of complaint for him and Elena. However, the busyness distracted Lunan from his strange dreams, as he was too occupied with reality to ponder over them. The initial excitement about the new student died down as well, although she still had a fair share of admirers.

Despite Elena's warning, Lunan wanted to figure out how to approach Azrah, as the first day of class wasn't a fluke. She and Lunan had third and fifth period together, and it was only in those classes where his spirits wouldn't appear when called. Lunan wracked his brain on how to approach a stranger and ask her if she practiced magic without freaking her out, but it turned out that he didn't have to as she initiated contact a few weeks later. She came to him in the library during study hour and pulled a chair to his empty table. Lunan jolted in surprise when she cleared her throat.

"May I sit?" she asked. It seemed her refined speech wasn't restricted to first day jitters, Lunan noted.

"Yeah, sure," he said.

He shifted his textbooks to one side of the table to give her room, but she didn't take anything out of her backpack. Lunan inwardly shrugged and resumed his homework until she interrupted him again.

"You are Lunan, yes? I'm Azrah. I believe we have a few classes together." She held out her hand.

"Yeah," he confirmed before shaking her hand, and then gasped as they made contact.

A sharp tingle traveled from his hand and trailed down his arm. It felt like an electric shock but more intense. He felt his ears warm and hoped his face didn't betray his astonishment. He squirmed inwardly as Azrah's eyes narrowed slightly before releasing his hand.

"I don't mean to pry, but where are you from? Your accent is interesting, and I've never seen someone who looks like you before," Lunan said, hoping to draw her attention from his embarrassment.

She had a secretive smile.

"No, I am not from here. I come from a distant place."

He hummed in acknowledgement. He understood the hidden meaning, and wasn't about to push it nor invade her privacy.

"I would like to become acquainted with you," she said.

He couldn't think of what would draw someone like her to him, and he distantly heard Elena's warning in his mind, but disregarded it.

"I'll bite. Why?" he asked.

"You drew me in with those mismatched eyes of yours," she answered with another smile. "They are very distinctive."

Lunan chuckled quietly, mindful of the patrolling librarians.

"A common source of interest," he said.

"There is something else about you that caught my attention, too."

She leaned in towards Lunan, uncomfortably so. He could smell her earthy fragrance. With the exception of Elena whispering in his ear, he ordinarily didn't allow people this close. His hairs stood on end.

"I sensed your magic," she told him, her voice a low whisper.

Lunan immediately went to deny her claim. He laughed sharply, forcing himself to move despite his instinct to freeze, and looked at her quizzically.

"The magic of attraction, maybe. Not to be a jerk, but you wouldn't be the first person at this school to take interest in me. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not interested."