Chapter 14

Despite her concerns, Elena held her tongue for a while. Despite Lunan decreasing the frequency at which they spent time together with little warning, she offered no complaint. Even as she saw her best friend change before her eyes, Elena held firm. At least, she did until she couldn't take it anymore.

As Elena spent more time with less close friends to make up for her loneliness, she would get lost in thought about her distant best friend. She would recall their first encounter, remembering the shyness in his mismatched eyes. She remembered the years it took for her to get Lunan to accept himself and fully embrace his magic; so seeing Lunan's regression under Azrah's influence broke her heart. Elena didn't understand why he chose Azrah over her. Gone was his interest in spellwork. He would instead drone on about the dangers of magic and how wielding it without the divine in mind was sinful. Given the numerous witches in Elena's family that fled persecution from people who held similar thoughts, she was not appreciative of Lunan's new outlook.

The final straw came when they were at Elena's house for once. It was the first time they had seen each other outside of school in two weeks, and she wanted to make the most of it. They finished their homework together and shortly after Elena's mother brought the pair apple slices with peanut butter.

Elena floated a slice towards her, smiling triumphantly as she caught it between her teeth. She noticed Lunan's disappointed glance before closing her eyes to indulge in the flavor. He quickly looked away, but Elena wasn't going to let the moment pass idly.

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked.

"No," he denied.

She stared at him defiantly, willing him to speak truthfully.

"It's just...must you use your magic so recklessly?"

"What?"

"Magic is a gift that we're blessed with. It should be used for a higher purpose in ways that benefit the world. Not to levitate food towards your mouth," Lunan scoffed.

Elena snapped her mouth closed and felt her cheeks warm. "Seriously, Lunan? Do you hear what you're saying?"

His eyes narrowed. "What are you implying?"

"You sound just like Azrah. Look, it's fine to broaden your perspective and understand the ways people view magic, but don't you see that you're putting yourself down in the process? Do you remember when you used to be so nervous and how much you hated your own abilities? Did you forget me showing you how awesome magic can be? I'm worried about you these days."

She put her hand on his shoulder, but drew it back when he violently flinched. She turned her face from him so that he couldn't see her glassy eyes.

"What's gotten into you?" she whispered as he glared at her.

"Nothing. I'm finally seeing what's right for once," he seethed. "So much of humanity's pain and suffering would have been avoided if we used our abilities for a higher purpose instead of falling to selfishness."

Elena took a deep breath and attempted to deescalate. "I can see where you're coming from, but to err is human, Lunan. Free will is important, and people have the right to do what they want with themselves, for better or worse."

Her words sounded wrong to Lunan now that he had come to understand Azrah's furor. People shouldn't be free because they couldn't be trusted to make proper decisions. Freedom only led to tragedy and loss. Why couldn't Elena see it?

"Humans shouldn't have free will," he said darkly. "We're ignorant, arrogant creatures. If we just did as told, if my parents just did as told, they wouldn't have—"