Chapter 13

When Lunan returned home from his meeting with Azrah, he saw a note from Gabriel on the table.

Had a crazy mess in the kitchen earlier and broke most of the dishware. Out buying more now. Be home later.

Lunan shrugged and crumpled the note before throwing it in the trash. He then bounded up the stairs and called Elena.

"Hola," her voice trailed through the line.

"El, Azrah's legit," he told her, barely able to contain his excitement.

"Really? Huh..."

"Yeah. I took her to the garden where you showed me your magic. She did kill the rose bush, though."

"What the hell, Lunan?"

"I'm sorry!" he said. "I should have thought better, but I figured it was fitting since that's where you and I became friends."

A sigh.

"I understand." Elena paused for a moment before adding, "I'm sorry by the way. I felt something off about her and didn't want to give her a chance. But you said she's legit, so I'll take your word."

He smiled. "Thanks. I'm glad you're being more open, because I invited her to eat lunch with us this week."

"Vale. I heard she's kind of cold. Maybe we can loosen her up and have some fun." Lunan heard the smirk in her voice.

"I don't know about all of that. She's a bit different on her approach to magic. Thanks for looking out for me, El."

The trio ate together as planned throughout the week. The first time was the most contentious, although Elena and Azrah settled into a working, if somewhat uneasy truce.

"Thanks for inviting me to lunch, Lunan," she said while taking a seat. She regarded Elena coolly. "You must be Elena. I know we have classes together with Mrs. Dillard and Mr. West, but still, I'm Azrah Vastator."

"Elena Diaz."

Elena's eyes widened slightly at their contact. Azrah's gaze shifted to Elena's shoulder, her eyes narrowing as if trying to discern something there.

"You feel very similar to Lunan," Elena said, catching Azrah's gaze so that it returned to her.

"Indeed. Seeing him for the first time felt like coming across a sibling."

They ate their lunch in relative silence. As they finished their meals, Elena pulled a wilted flower from her coat.

"What do you think of this?" she said.

Lunan and Azrah watched as Elena undid her necklace and laid out her stones on the table. She closed her eyes and her lips moved in a silent incantation. When they opened, the flower was restored to its former beauty.

Lunan gave a thumbs up and Elena high fived him. Azrah looked at the flower with interest.

"You have a real gift," she mused. "A deeper connection to God's creations. Although like any power, it can be abused."

Elena laughed aloud, making both Lunan and Azrah frown.

"Is that what you mean, Lunan? That she's Christian? Do you know how many of my aunts practice magic but still go to mass? It's not my thing, but it's hardly a problem," she said. Lunan blushed.

"Sorry for being sheltered. I found it unusual, is all," he mumbled.

"It's fine," she assured. "As for the whole 'abuse' thing, I don't really believe in that. As long as you're not going out of your way to really harm people, I don't see a need for restrictions. It's like how every year, Lunan and I cast a probability spell so that our lockers are next to one another. It's fun to toy with fate a little."