Chapter One

Poppy and I walked behind the four girls we were teaching, just talking among ourselves. We were heading for our training clearing, the same clearing me and Poppy used magic in for the first time two years ago.

I looked over at my friend, with her long braided black hair, paired with her olive skin, and her emerald green eyes that represented her main element of earth. She's one of the oldest and I'm one of the youngest, but she's actually a little shorter than me. She was wearing black jeans with a white short sleeve shirt with a small leaf pattern, topped with a camo jacket that went o the middle of her thighs, and running shoes.

She didn't look anything like me. I have fair skin with a shorter than shoulder length, brown hair, with light gray-blue eyes that matched my main element of air. I had on a light blue dress with flaring sleeves, that went to the middle of my thighs with shorts underneath, with light blue converse. And, of course, a plain black chocker.

We were opposites just like our elements and we worked wonderfully together.

We got to the clearing and the four girls stopped.

"Woah." They synchronized.

I could understand their reaction. The clearing was surrounded by towering trees with a willow tree in the middle that had a bench underneath. There was a fire pit near the tree and a river that ran through the clearing.

"This is amazing!" said Flame, a girl with fiery red hair and eyes paired with tanned skin and a face full of freckles.

"I know, this is great!" Topaz replied, a girl with strawberry blonde hair and dark blue eyes, pale skin, and a patch of missing skin pigment on her right eye.

The four of them started running around our sacred area. No human could find this area, the witches that found this area and built the coven house put a spell on this clearing. Only someone who was a witch could enter. The only problem was that someone, human or not, could still see into the clearing.

"Girls!" Poppy called. "Gather underneath the willow tree please!"

They stopped walking around the clearing and walked to the willow. We all sat down on the bench, Poppy and I on one side, the girls on the other.

"When can we start training?" Daisy asked, her pine green eyes sparkling as she twirled her green streaked dirty blonde hair over her highly tanned and freckled shoulders.

"Soon Daisy." I told her.

"As some of you know, we can control all four elements, but one is our strongest." All four girls nodded their heads. "Today we will focus on just our main element, which we can tell from your eye colors. Tomorrow we will work on your opposite elements. For example, if your element is water you'll work on fire tomorrow."

"OK." They said together.

"Alrighty then. Storm will set up the fire and I'll tell you what element you are."

We all got up, I headed for the fire pit while Poppy told them their element. Yes the telling of the element wasn't necessary because of how obvious it was- but it was tradition. I stood above the fire pit, snapped my fingers, and a flame appeared.

I walked back over to the rest of the group and saw that she was just finishing up, telling Skylar after looking into her electric blue eyes that her element was air.

"OK. You all know your elements now. Storm will take over from here."

I stood next to Poppy and said, "With water, you'll be practicing how to make a small water ball. With air you'll be making a tornado at the tip of your finger. With fire you'll make a small fireball. And with Earth you'll be practicing growing vines."

The girls started bouncing around, impatient to get started.

Poppy and I giggled to ourselves as we watched them.

"OK. We'll start with the fire/water balls."

Daisy and Skylar sat down at the bench and watched as we told Flame and Topaz what to do. Suddenly I saw a small black figure at the edge of the clearing. I kept staring at it, trying to figure out what it was when it burst through the trees.

The girls all jumped before realizing it was Midnight, my ebony black cat.

Looking over at Poppy I asked, "Are you good by yourself for a minute? I just need to check if anything's wrong."

"Yep. Go ahead."

I turned around and walked towards Midnight before crouching in front of her, looking into her matching light-gray blue eyes.

"Is everything OK girl?"

I share a special bond with Midnight, like the fifteen year olds before me. At fifteen, a single witch in the coven will gain the ability to "talk" with an animal- her familiar. Familiars help the coven with giving their witch images of danger.

Midnight shared with me a series of images. First the rest of my coven working on harmless spells and potions, then the door breaking down and villagers coming in and grabbing my coven members.

When she stopped sharing these images I gasped. Hearing me everyone turned towards me.

I whipped around and called out to Poppy, "Get the girls underneath the willow, the coven was found!"

The five of them rushed under the tree. Poppy turned around and used her powers to make the willow leaves cover them. Knowing they were fine, I turned around and sprinted to the coven, Midnight on my heels.

~Thanks for reading!
I hope you enjoy The Coven Traitor and my other books!
Enjoy the story :)~