Chapter Thirteen

As we sat with them we caught each other up with our lives. I told them how close I was to finding out who the traitor was and getting the coven back, while they told me what they saw.

"We saw the hooded figure walking to and fro from the house. It was always the same route too." Oceania said, brushing her lightly golden streaked black hair from her navy eyes, her dark skin shining in the sun.

"Oh yeah! She always would whistle too before she entered the town. It was strange." Ren said, brushing her hair with her brush.

"Wait, when'd you get your brush?" I asked as I noticed it.

"Oh, before we went to sleep the night we got here. I went out to get it." She said, still brushing her tangled hair.

"And you didn't grab ours?" Jamie complained, pointing to her equally tangled blonde hair, her light green eyes sparked with anger.

"Oh. I didn't think about that." Ren said.

"We can get them later." I told them. They stopped complaining and told us more.

"Everytime she whistled it sounded like someone walked slightly into the forest, sounding the same everytime, before walking into the village." Jamie told us, curiosity spreading through her red-orange eyes.

"Wait, how often did she go to the village?" I asked.

"At least every other night." Oceania responded.

"Why hasn't anything else happened then? All that's happened is people coming in to look for more of us after the rest of the coven was taken." I thought aloud.

"I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a larger hunt is being planned." Jamie said.

"Possibly." Poppy said.

Too curious to continue sitting around I got up and said to them, "I'll be right back, I need to do something." They replied with simple goodbyes as I headed for the house.

****

I had to avoid some people who were must likely looking for other witches. Making it to the house without any trouble, I started looking for the cloak again.

I was too engrossed in looking to hear someone walk in. As soon as I felt a hand on my shoulder I jumped up with a scream.

"Woah, it's just me."

Jacob.

Breathing heavily I cried, "Jacob! Jeez you scared me half to death!"

"Sorry, but you didn't hear me."

"I guess I was just to focused on finding the cloak that the traitor used." I said, looking back around the house.

"Why would they put it in here?" He asked, looking around with me.

"Well this is where we lived before and she was living here before they came so this makes the most sense."

"But if she's stayed hidden for so long she probably didn't have it here."

"Wow. How did I not think of it that way?" I facepalmed as well as silently scold myself.

"It's OK, I know you're probably under a lot of pressure with this whole," he circled his arms around before saying "situation. You're probably not thinking normally."

"True. OK. I think you should lead the search."

"Whatever you say." He turned around and walked out into the forest.

Taking one last look before I turned around and jogged next him.

We were searching for a while, not really finding anything but not fully knowing where to look. Looking in trees, bushes, even small animal holes.

"Ugh! We've been searching for, what feels like, forever and don't even have I lead." I complained leaning against a nearby tree.

"We just have to keep looking. Do you have any idea where they were coming from?" Jacob asked, turning to look at me.

"Somewhere near the house. I don't know where or what path they took but I know it's before the the edge of the forest."

"Alright. At least we have an area to start in." I followed him as he lead me back towards the house, passing it.

Again we started searching the trees, bushes, and area around it.
And once again, nothing!

"I feel like this is hopeless." I said, standing up from the bush I had been searching and looking down at the ground.

"Hey, we might not find anything here but I could try to get something out of my dad."

With a sigh I said, "OK. Try that. I'm gonna head back to my temporary home. Cya." I tried to sound cheerful even though I was giving up on finding the traitor.

"Bye Storm." As we both turned away I say the uneasy smile on Jacob's face.

Oh, right. The brushes, I should get those now.

Doing a 180 I headed back for the house, grabbing everyone's brush and another piece of Aqua's hair. Thankfully I still had enough of the maple leaves and berries to last another potion.

****

Everyone was happy to have their brushes, especially Jamie, Julie, and Oceania. Almost everyone started brushing their tangled hair as soon as their hand was on their brushes.

"Thanks, your a life saver!" Jamie said.

"I'm going to see the others again tonight." I told them.

"Wait again?" Poppy asked turning to me.

"Oh yeah, I did it at night and kind of in secret." I gave her a half smile.

"Tell everyone we miss them!" Jamie told me.

"Will do." I promised. Then it was time to wait until night.