Chapter Three

As I listened to the wind blowing through the surrounding trees that night, I started thinking back to the events of the day. From the village finding our coven house to the training session we continued after setting up for the night.

I was thinking about how to help the girls with their weak spots when I realized that the villagers didn't find our home. They were told about it.

Who would've told them? And why?

I would never betray my family, not for anything. As I stroked Midnight's fur as she slept on my chest, I tried thinking about who it could be, the traitor that is. I was so glad I had Poppy with me, I could talk it out with her in the morning.

***

The next morning I woke up and found out I was the first awake. Midnight had moved to sleeping at my feet, meaning I could get up without disturbing her. She was sleeping in a tight circle with her tail over her nose.

As I got up I saw her eyes following me over her tail. Turning around I gave her a small pet, causing her to purr. Smiling at her I slipped on my converse and headed out to find our breakfast.

We should've grabbed food while we at the cabin.

I silently scolded myself.

Walking over the to river I looked for something to eat. On the other side of the river I saw a small blueberry bush. It wouldn't be much but I could go out and find better food later.

Stepping back I prepared myself to jump over the river. It wasn't a large gap to jump, maybe around a 3 foot gap, but I wasn't getting wet this morning!

Clearing the gap I went to collect blueberries.

I think I need this to grow more.

Leaning down, I placed my hands on the ground, and gave the little bush some energy to grow with. It swiftly grew to about my hips and sprouted a enough blueberries to keep our stomachs from growing.

Gathering them in my hands, I jumped back over the river, and headed for the willow. As I walked back I started thinking about what I would do to get the coven back. I was still puzzling this as I sat at the bench.

Looking at our small blueberries I decided to go back to the coven house and find more to eat. Telling Midnight what I was up to and I'd call for her if needed- long range communication be a part of our bond, I was off.

I pushed apart two thorn bushes, walked out, and closed them behind me. Staying in the denser part of the forest I started to run ever so slightly, towards my true home.

When I arrived all I could think about was what I saw the day before. Shivering slightly as I made sure the coast was clear, I walked inside.

I looked around at all the damage the villagers did and saw that our mixing pots and empty glass bottles were smashed on the floor.

This is a bit extreme. I thought, doing a 360, looking at what they did.

I walked into our classic kitchen. With it's black and white tile floor, wooden cabinets, and marble countertops. Walking over to our smooth white fridge, I opened it to find that they had turned it off, most likely to kept anyone left from being able to survive out her for long.

I found some close to molding strawberries, very warm whipped cream, half a curtain of eggs, and finally some bread next to the fridge.

French toast it is.

Grabbing a metal bowl, I went to walk back to the clearing when I heard footsteps. Listening closely I realized they were someone's
footsteps. Pushing myself against the nearest wall and crouching below any windows, I started to panic. Clearing my thoughts with a quick and deep breath, I sent an message- of course in images, to Midnight. I soon received one that showed Poppy using her powers to cause a fake storm.

Soon I did hear what I, at first thought was a storm. I realized it was Poppy but the person outside didn't. The footsteps stopped as the person outside listened to the howling wind.

"That doesn't sound good." A deep gravely voice thought aloud.

Still ducked down, I waited until I heard fast and frantic footsteps fully disappear before sprinting out of the house. Sending a quick message to Midnight telling her I was OK, I pushed myself faster, putting as much distance between me and the guy as possible.

~Thanks for reading!
I'm out of school now and my daily routine is settled a little more so I have more time to write! Expect, at the most, three updates a day! I know, crazy.
Enjoy the story :)~