Chapter 6: Flashes

I awoke to a firm knock on my door. My body flung up quickly, my long hair draping over my face. I looked about the room, partially delirious, as I tried remembering where I was. Soon enough, the feeling of the soft sheets and down feathered pillows and blankets reminded me that I was not at home and this was not my room. I blinked a few times at the clock on my nightstand 7:30am. A reasonable time to get up.
"Come in." I said questionably after a few moments of rubbing my eyes.
"Your breakfast." An elderly voice stated clearly, followed by a warm and familiar face.
"Edward!" I smiled brightly.
"Its good to see you up and smiling." Edward jested sheepishly as he sat down the exotic breakfast tray.
I blushed slightly and bit my bottom lip in a guilty manner before indulging on the platter before me. It contained an arrangement of berries and granola over yogurt, loaded omelette, pancakes and coffee. If I were to finish everything on the tray, I would most likely explode.
"You could take it a bit easier on Mr. Queen." He hinted while pouring my coffee. I rolled my eyes immediately. I could always be honest with him.
"Hey, He deserves it." I stood up and firmly poked in the chest before reclaiming my seat on the bed.
"Though I don't blame your skepticism against Mr. Queen, An ounce of cooperation on your part may make this trip much more tolerable for the both of you."
"He doesn't want me here?" I was surprised by that suggestion and took a sip of the nice warm brew.
"Oh I wouldn't say that." Edward replied while setting up the breakfast tray beside my bed. "But he wasn't enthused by the idea of you coming alone. That feeling of course is based, solely, on past interactions between the two of you." He eyed me with a knowing look which he should know, he was there for all of it. The highs and lows and complete explosion when it all ended. Edward witnessed it all and I left his memory behind when I left Oliver. For that, I was now regretting. I always missed our talks, he was full of warmth and wisdom. Never judgmental. He had known me when I was a child and later in my higher teens. He'd been a family friend of Peppers, working for her father for sometime, before transferring his employment to Star City and Oliver Queen. Everything about Edward was very refined and calm. I could have been the worlds biggest brat and he never would have done more than blink.
"A sweet girl you are Ani." He used to tell me; he was the only person to ever call me that. "But a bastards temper you have inherited." It amused me for some reason. I laughed because it was true, though few people saw me upset; the ones I was closest too knew what a hot head I could be. They were usually the ones to rile me up most.
I chatted with Edward for a short time while I ate but, sadly, he had other business to attend too. With a kiss on my forehead he bid me farewell and with that I finished my breakfast, alone.
________________________________
When I finished my meal, I took a moment to stretch and scan through my emails. I was surprised I hadn't received another raving call from Fury. I took his silence as he was hit with a firm realization that, one, this wasn't my doing and, two, I wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. Minimum span was at least a week though I prayed it would end shorter. After my morning check-ins I place the table of empty dishes outside my door, as Edward had previously instructed me too, and proceeded to dress in some form of regular clothing. I rustled my raven hair into a high pony tail and inserted in a pair of silver studs. Satisfied with that step, I stood in front of the bedroom mirror and was just about to pull off my pajama top when I heard a sharp whistle rise up behind me. I whipped around quickly from my place, simultaneously, grabbing a silver pen off the desk in from of me. When I turned, I encountered an all too familiar face, Barry Allen. Behold him and his speedster glory. The clown was leaning, cockily, in my doorway; his faced held a sheepish grin. I immediately shot him a disapproving look. He knew better than to sneak up on me or to make ignorant cat-calls, such as that.
"Well look what the cat dragged in, or should I day say, arrow?" He quipped with a witty smile.
"You shall not." I reprimanded with the silver pen still clenched between my fingers.
"Not your usual choice of weaponry Nik. What are you going to do, poke me to death?" He chuckled lightly and I gave a devious as I clicked the end of pen, revealing it's five-inch, switchblade, tip.
"Woah." He held up his hands immediately.
"Sharp enough for ya?" I countered and whipped the blade near his face before clicking it back shut.
"Someone's in a sour mood." He acknowledged my obvious defensiveness and irritation.
"What are you doing here Allen?" I crossed my arms suspiciously at his random presence in the house.
"Queen let me in on your arrival."
"Really?" My face immediately went skeptical.
"No, but I have my ways." He gave a smirk before closer and "booping" the tip my nose.
"Now how's about a hug for your old pall Barry?"
This guy was always a little to eager. I raised my brows as my face read 'Really.'
"Awe, come on now. That's no way to great a friend."
"Oh fine." I mumbled while rolling my eyes and leaned forward to hug him. He immediately locked both arms around my torso, lifted me up, and spun me around the room.
"Put me down you imp!" I shouted in a scolding manner though I wasn't able to hide the smile on my face.
"Awe come on. You know you miss it."
"No, I don't." I affirmed instantly while shaking my head. "And where's Oliver at?"
"I don't know." he shrugged with his hands and shoulders before taking a quick peek out into the hallway
"Does he know your here?"
"Uh, Probably not. Considering the fact I didn't knock."
I chuckled, "Your horrible you know that."
"The worst." He said with a proud smile and began admiring his nails.
"But that's what you love about me." He beamed another bright grin and I rolled my eyes.
"Uhuh, sure it is." I scrunched up my face and he gave him a firm bop on the head.
"What was that for!"
"Nothing in particular. Just been a while." I gave amused smirk and he glared at me.
"Now what are you doing here?" I chuckled lightly as I went over to the bed where I laid out my clothes for the morning. Picking them up, I then swirled my finger around at Barry.  He rolled his eyes but obeyed my command for him to turn around. I waited a moment or two, making he sure he'd stay there, before I began undressing.
"Like I said." He began after facing the door a moment. "I heard you were in town, Eddie actually was the one to call me, so I came to pay my respects. "After all," he stopped a moment to chuckle, "You did move into a mortuary." By the end of that statement he had already turned back around, though I hadn't given him permission too. As the king of speed though, and a longtime friend, he could time my activities down to the last second. Barry is one of the few friends I had and definitely one of the longest. He was also the few persons to know that I was working for S.H.I.E.L.D. It's obvious to say Tony, Pepper, and Happy weren't in the mix. Neither was Oliver or Eddie for that matter. My job with them started shortly before the train wreck with Ollie. I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, and after the split, it just wasn't relevant to tell them. I wasn't, obviously, supposed to tell Barry either but, in my defense, he was eavesdropping and found out on his own. Thankfully, Barry isn't one for gossip or jabbering; otherwise I would have probably killed him long ago. He could be chatty at times but I had to give it too him, the man new how to keep a secret.
"So your not here to rescue me?" I asked flatly after a moment.
"No."
I scoffed, "Then your useless. Get out!" and proceeded to toss my bundle of pajamas and dirty clothes at him. He caught it instantly with and shot me a glare before chucking the laundry in the hamper next too him.
"Is that anyway to treat an old friend?" He gave an innocent smile.
"You're not a friend. You're a traitor now."
He crossed his arms in a pouting demeanor and I immediately mimicked him. He stuck his tongue out at me. I stuck mine out at him. He then used two fingers to stretch out his mouth into this joker-like smile. I rolled my eyes and waved a hand at him.
"Well I would have brought the whole gang but that's too suspicious. They can't duck security like I can."
"Gang?" I asked curiously as I tightened my ponytail and began transforming it into a braid.
"And why can't you just knock like every other normal human being?"
"Well, granted, I'm not like every other normal human being. Plus, Breaking in is more fun."
"Whatever winds you up in prison Barry." I shot him a sly smile while tying off the end off the braid.
"That's cold." He pointed out immediately. I just simply shrugged.
"And you remember the gang." He started again as I rose from my seat to begin reviewing some files on my laptop.
"It was me, Oliver, Arthur-."
"Arthurs here?!" I nearly gasped as I whipped around to face him. Almost dropping my laptop in the process. It been years since I'd seen Barry and even longer since I'd last saw Arthur.
"In a sense. He shows up every so often and I'm sure, once he hears that your in town, he'll pop up."
"I haven't seem him in a while." I stated in an observing manner as a few memories began floating through my mind."
"Mmmhmm." Barry nodded while continuing his work. "I hear Oliver Queen isn't the only member of our team that you've had chemistry with."
"Who told you that?" I placed one hand on hip and flicked my hair over my shoulder.
"Arthur did." He smirked at my annoyed expression.
"Of course he did." I rolled my eyes and flipped my hair to the other direction and Barry gave me a suspicious look.
"Did you like living in Atlantis?" He teased with a grin. "I spat back instantly, "It's not even as bad as your making it out to be. So I know not to go drinking past midnight in Nairobi, big deal."
"Okay that story I didn't hear of-."
"And you never will." I smiled sweetly.
"So seriously though, how many of these guys are you keeping under your belt Nik?"
I wanted to scoff but decided to play coy instead. "How many knives do you want me to chuck at your face Barry?" I beamed eagerly.
"One for every guy you've been with." He stated out boldly. I shrugged and his face radiated with confidence as he straightened up his posture. From underneath my bed, I pulled out a duffle bag and within it a large, rolled up, pouch of knives. I unrolled the pouch and it revealed about 20-25 daggers and blades, all in varying sizes. I pulled out the first blade and ran my finger over the tip.
"That's not funny." He called out while pointing to the blades.
"Well you asked." I replied innocently and he shot me a firm glare. I laughed deviously and rolled up the pouch before placing it back inside the bag and underneath my bed.
"Is Clark around here too?" I asked randomly, recalling Barrys previous statements about the gang being here.
"Yep."
"How is he?"
"Same old Clark. As boyscoutty as ever."
I smiled instantly. That was Clark for sure. Suddenly another familiar voice arose from the doorway.
"Well look who's here." Oliver observed with his arms slightly crossed. "By all means Barry, I could give just give you a key."
Barry looked at me with wide eyes and I pointed at him instantly while mouthing a mocking laugh. "Busted." I whispered quietly as he put on a bold grin and turned to face Oliver. In a perky manner, Barry zipped next to Oliver and threw one arm over Ollies shoulder. Oliver was clearly annoyed with Barrys presence and I found it highly entertaining.
"Nice of you to drop in bud." Barry beamed and gave him a hard slap on the back before zipping back over too me.
"It's my house." Oliver retorted in a matter of fact tone.
"Hey, Mi Casa Su Casa. We're all family." Barry replied nonchalantly while waving his hand, frivolously, around. I was trying my best not to burst from hysteria as I watched Olivers tea pot start to boil over.
"Why I said I could give you a key."
"Yeah, but I wouldn't dare know what to do with the thing."
I gave a small snort at Barrys comment which immediately drew Olivers gaze towards me.
"I'm sure your enjoying this." Oliver stated, irritated, while gesturing towards me. I smiled and nodded simultaneously. Oliver sighed and began shaking his head.
"Barry you are aware there's door bell outside right?"
"Yeah so."
"So if you press it. Someone will let you in."
"Eh. That takes too long."

Oliver shook his head another time and looked down at the floor. I proceeded in trying not to laugh again. Barry always had the ability to get me smiling and this little banter with Oliver was exactly what the doctor ordered to treat my foul and dismal mood. Too bad I couldn't just freeze tile right here and savor the moment. I know Barry would have to buzz off eventually, leaving me, abandoned and alone to deal with Lord Evergreen here.
"I thought it was because breaking in was more fun Barry?" I inquired with a cheeky grin. I couldn't help but add my own fuel to the fire, though I did hate see Barry squirm so much.
"Well...that too." Barry replied slowly while rubbing the back of his neck. He didn't miss the opportunity to shoot me a 'Thanks for nothing' glare, to which I returned with an innocent shrug and devious smile.
"Barry." Oliver started while running his hand over his face, "One of these days I'm going to snipe you." He pointed at Barry with brows raised and an all too serious expression.
"You'll Miss."
"Ha!" Was what I immediately released and they both glanced at me for a second. Barry has gotten bold in these past few years.
"I'll do it." My voice perked up as I raised my hand instantaneously. Poor Barrys face was written with so much betrayal.
"Huh." Oliver scoffed in disbelief, "Don't think I can?"
Barry gave a shrug, "I mean, Ollie, you of all people should know how well her aim is."
My face lite up in shock and amusement but I said nothing. Oliver, however, gave an unamused expression.
"And Who's side are you on?!" Barry swung around suddenly to face me. I started immediately laughing which forced a smile onto his face.
"Come on Queen, Your gonna snipe me for coming too see our dear, sweet Niki?" Barry asked innocently while coming over to pat my shoulder.
"Sweet?" Oliver stated dryly while glancing me up and down. I immediately glared at him.
"Is there something you wanted?" I questioned while crossing my arms.
"Yeah." Barry agreed with a nod and mimicked my stance. He was such an idiot but I loved him for it. At least someone was here to support me.
Oliver gave an amused snort and shook his head before addressing me. "The CFO of Queen Industries invited me to lunch at his Cabana. I figured you would want to come. It would be a good opportunity to meet some of the people you will be working with."
"I suppose so." I nodded slowly.
"Sweet a luau!" Barry beamed with instant excitement.
"Let's go!" He cheered and scooped me up off the floor.
Zooming through the doorway and downstairs he called back up to Oliver, "Keep up old man!" I barely had time to register what was happening but, thankfully, I caught a glimpse of Olivers annoyed face before leaving. His frustration was worth while. Barry could stop in everyday if it meant I got to see Oliver on edge.