Chapter 8: Reassigned

After such an eventful afternoon and evening, I didn't want a repetition to occur the next today. Today was Sunday, which meant tomorrow was Monday; the day of our meeting. My hope was I'd be here till Wednesday which would leave me fulfilling my required week. I'd rather be buried alive then to endure the presence of Oliver anymore, especially after last nights ordeal. Though it was nice too see Edward and Barry again, their presence wasn't changing my disposition. Oliver hadn't changed he was still patronizing, egotistical and unaware of the pain he's caused people in his life. No apology he ever gave was genuine. He just said and did whatever would pacify the person he pissed off in the moment. He was worse than Tony or anyone that I had met. I couldn't wait to get out of here.
_____________________________________
Apart from being unnerved I was extremely bored and, eventually, my boredom took the better of me. I found myself wandering about the mansion. Oliver disappeared somewhere, to which I didn't mind or care in the slightest. Edward mentioned something about work in the city; which left me with time to myself. I was thankful for the freedom. I could finally move about the house without fear of running into him. I decided to start with grounds, making my way through the garden; then I maneuvered back inside. The peace gave me a chance to take a longer tour. I noticed quite a few more changes, though it was predominantly cosmetic. Once my wandering was complete, I found myself outside Olivers room. Something compelled me to go inside. Perhaps it was nosiness, either way, I opened the door slowly. Immediately, I noticed his room had changed as well. Different paint, decor, furniture etc. I suppose it seems odd to point out all these changes, after all, people redecorate all the time. That was the thing that intrigued me though, Oliver never did. He was never one to change much of anything, well, that's not 100% true. He changed girlfriends more than he did suits but that's a different habit. Oliver never changed much around his house, if he wanted a change he typically visited one of his other estates. He wasn't opposed to change and wasn't to lazy to make a change; he just didn't do it. I always guessed it was because he had a lot of changes as a child but I never really learned the truth. I looked about the room a few moments before stepping in, quietly of course. Edward traveled out too gather some groceries so there wasn't a cause for secrecy but still, it was in my DNA now. I took a few casual paces around the room. I glanced at the bed, walls and dresser, which seemed to intrigue me. I looked about, stopping a moment, to hear if anyone had arrived; nothing.
I bit my lower lip and scurried over to the dresser and immediately began peaking through. A few shirts, slacks, jeans and sets of pajamas. White undershirts and I discovered that his preference of boxers over briefs was still in tact. My eyes moved from the drawers to the top of the desk. There was a few pictures, one when he was a child, another with his parents (before they died) and one.....with me.
"Что такое..." (What the) I puzzled while reaching for the image. Suddenly, I heard a car door slam and the sound of Olivers voice as he mounted the front steps. My hand missed the picture, as I had turned my attention towards the bedroom door. The picture tumbled over and right into a bottle of Olivers cologne but, thankfully, I caught them both. I repositioned them perfectly and retreated up the hall to my bedroom. Apparently, he'd gone to his office to finish his call so I made it out without his awareness. As I usually did on my cases. Stealth was something I had a knack for and my accuracy was even better.
When I reentered my humble abode, I discovered my phone was quietly ringing.
"Hello." I answered quickly.
"The next time you hang up on me-." It was Fury, I was wondering when he'd call back to lecture me.
"There won't be a next time." I interjected and he fell silent for a moment.
"Good. Now about your desertion-."
"I didn't desert anything!" I spat bitterly. My tone yapping away as usual and more silence held the line.
"Are you trying to test my patience Agent Beyer."
I exhaled irritatedly. "No sir."
"Then let me finish." He annunciated firmly while I gave a swift eye roll.
"I know Stark sent to Star City for economic purposes." He began with inquiry in his voice.
"Mainly, finance and stock discussions but yes." I corrected in the politest way I could. I was skating on thin ice and wasn't about to mouth my way into unemployment.
"Since your already on location. I've decided to give you a new assignment."
"Your what?" My face felt hot and I could feel knots forming in my stomach.
"Some bureaucrats from Moscow and London are flying into Star City next week. We believe they may have interest in Queen Industries. We'll need you to investigate."
I don't believe it, now I have to stay here a whole extra week; if I was lucky. Investigations could take months. I refused to hide out under Queens roof for some choppy investigation, Fury could send someone else or invoke an actual team in. My surface were restricted to private missions only.
"You can save the objections." His firm voice drew me out of my thoughts.  "The arrangements are made." Fury concluded on with a warning but I ignored it.
"Fury, I refuse to-."
"What did I just say Niki!"
"I can't stay here any longer! I refuse too! Once I'm done with this damn meeting, I'm going home!"
"Mmhmm." Was his only response. "We'll see about that."
"Furry. Furry!!! UGH!!" I slammed my phone down on the dresser at the realization that he hung up on me. It really enraged me when people did that.
"Bastard." I grumbled to myself when a sudden message can in. It was a message containing the details on my new assignment.
I couldn't believe this was happening to me again.