𝐨𝐧𝐞

"It's called talent, JJ. Something you clearly don't have."

The blonde boy scoffed at me, annoyed that I accomplished his boat beer trick and he failed countless times. "Fucking fight me, Redfield," he turned to me his alcohol-tainted breath filling my nose. However, what I proceeded to do crossed the line, I quickly took the beer from his hand and finished it off. The look on JJ's expression proved that running would be in my best interest right now. 

So, I did.

A string of laughter poured out of my mouth as I sprinted down the docks and back up into the town. Somehow, I managed to be faster than the Maybank boy at times — I blame my father for always taking me on his runs when I was a kid.

"Catch me if you can, Blondie!" I had turned my head around to tease him, but then I literally ran into something. "Fuck."

I need to be more spatially aware. Fuck me.

Before I could hit the ground, a hand gripped my upper arm which saved me from falling against the hard asphalt. "Woah, there, people are walking here." My stomach dropped at the sight of who had caught me.

I yanked my arm away from the boy's grasp, a look of disgust replacing the once carefree expression on my face. "Rafe." That was when the 'Kook King' finally noticed who it was that he'd helped out. Me, Marley Redfield, Kildare's acclaimed 'Pogue Baby'.

"Marley." the way my name sounded leaving his mouth made it seem like it physically pained him to say it. We both stared at each other in disgust. That was when JJ showed up by my side and my eyes were finally torn away from Rafe's.

Thank you, JJ Maybank.

JJ's arm protectively wrapped around my shoulders, "Everything ok, Marls?" His eyes switched between mine and Rafe's. I nodded quickly, reaching my hand up to hold onto his arm. "Peachy keen. The only thing that could be better is if the Kook King would fuck off."

Rafe flipped me off as JJ led me away. We were supposed to be meeting the rest of our friends at the Wreck anyways. The Wreck was our friend Kiara's family restaurant, a popular food stop for us Pogues. About 87% of the time we could manage to get some free food. The other 13% was when Mr. C decided that we were too annoying that day.

Oh, well.

"But seriously, Marley, he do anything to hurt you?" I furrowed my eyebrows at the boy, watching as he opened the door to the restaurant for me.

"Rafe Cameron might be a borderline sociopath with addictive tendencies, but he'd never willingly hurt a girl." JJ pointed his finger at me, "Ah, but that's where you're wrong. You're a Pogue, Marls. He doesn't give a shit about us."

"Who doesn't give a shit about us?" Kie questioned, setting plates of food down on the table where our other two friends were seated. JJ and I joined them and immediately began eating. "Rafe fucking Cameron," I mumbled in between bites of fried chicken.

Our 3 friends just hummed, nodding in agreement. "You run into him today?" John B burped, swallowing the food in his mouth. I scoffed and slapped him upside the head, he knew how much I hated when he burped on me.

"Just outside actually." I gestured toward the street, "Ran into him when JJ was chasing me."
Before Pope or John B could ask for any further explanation, music started playing throughout the restaurant.

"Let's dance, bitches." Kie smiles, returning to us.

I giggled as I grabbed the floppy brown-haired boy's hands and pulled him out of his chair. He regretfully obliged and began dancing with me in the free space of the restaurant. Every once in a while, he'd spin me around and my hair would go everywhere. The smile on his face as he watched me have fun made me happy.

For some reason, I didn't hear the chime of the restaurant door when it opened and a group of Kooks entered. I wasn't aware of who exactly had walked in until John B held onto my hand and spun me again.

What happened next felt like it happened in total slow motion.

My eyes connected with Rafe Cameron's. Our eyes held onto each other as I spun, an emotion I couldn't identify present in his eyes as he stared me down. And for some reason, I swear I saw a hint of a smile on his face.

What do you want with me, Rafe Cameron? If anything.

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

EDITED AS OF
JAN 2022