twenty-one✰

"Babe, don't go in there, ok? Let me drive you home."

I turned to face Rafe as I had just slid out of his truck that was parked in front of the Chateau. His face held a solemn expression as he sat in the driver's seat. "I left my Dad's backpack here the other day and if I don't get it soon he'll kill me. You go on home, okay? I'll text you later." He let out a rather loud sigh at my words. Not wanting to hear his complaints any longer, I made my way over to his side of the car. I took his chin in my hand and brought his face towards mine, kissing him quickly, "I'm a big girl, Baby Blues."

He rolled his eyes at me, watching me as I walked off toward the Chateau, somewhere I hadn't been since we all fell apart. I had sort of made up with Kie, but the boys... not so much. Like normal, I walked up the steps of the porch and walked right on in. Upon entering, however, all conversation ceased amongst the Pogues. That sure makes a girl feel better.

"Marls!" Kie exclaimed, running over and hugging me. "Whatcha here for?" I hugged her tightly, missing the friendship we had. To be honest, losing a lifelong friendship over a boy hurt... bad. I missed them all so deeply.

But Rafe.

He was different. He wasn't as bad as everyone thought he was. Rafe Cameron was a misunderstood softy, ya know... if we're being honest here.

"Oh, I left my Dad's backpack here." I motioned to the grey backpack in the corner of the room which, somehow, had been left untouched. Kie and I separated, allowing me to see the rest of the room. That's when I got confused.

Looking around the room, I saw the four people I'd grown up with, plus one more girl. Sarah Cameron. "Did... did you replace me with Sarah?" I asked no one in particular. I didn't really care who answered, all I was trying to do was keep from crying.

We had only gotten into this fight a matter of days ago and somehow the four 'anti-Kook' Pogues had befriended Sarah Cameron, Kook Princess, and even managed to get her and Kie to make up. This was unbelievable. "Uh, it's not what it looks like, Marls." John B was the one who had spoken up.

My eyes shot to him, tears evident in them, but anger taking over. "Then what does it look like John B? You guys flip out because I'm hanging out with Rafe, who in case you forgot, is her brother... and then all of a sudden everyone is all buddy-buddy with Sarah? What's the difference between me befriending a Kook and y'all befriending one?"

That's when JJ decided to share his opinion. "Well, for starters, we actually like Sarah." I scoffed, now making eye contact with the blonde boy. "Real classy, JJ. Not even giving the boy a chance but you're willing to risk everything for his sister." I turned to face the rest of the group, the tears taking over my vision. "Okay, I'm pretty sure I got replaced. Am I wrong? Tell me I'm being delusional and I'm just seeing things. What, was this your plan all along?"

As if he hadn't already broken my heart enough in the past 48 hours, JJ stood up from his spot on the couch and stomped over to me. He towered over me and it took everything in me to not show how much his anger screwed with my mind. There was anger and some other emotion in his eyes, but I couldn't discern what the other was. "You know what? Yeah, it fucking was, Marley. We're all so over your shit that when you left we were relieved. Relieved that you were gone and we could finally replace your problematic ass."

I stood there speechless.

My knees went weak and I stumbled backward, I looked to the other Pogues, all of them sitting there not saying anything. "Guys?" I whispered, my voice breaking. Were they really not going to say anything?

After enduring probably the longest minute of my life standing there waiting for those who I thought were my friends to stick up for me, I caved. A sob forced itself out of my body as I frantically yanked my Dad's backpack onto my shoulder and ran from the place I had once called home.

I just needed to be anywhere but here.

"Marls?" The familiar voice of my... of Rafe broke through my jumbled thoughts, watching him run towards me through my blurry vision. His truck was still parked outside of the Chateau and I couldn't be more thankful that he didn't listen to me when I told him to go home. Right before my legs gave out and I fell to the ground, the Cameron boy caught me and lowered us both down to where I was seated in his lap.

His arms held me close to him as he attempted to comfort me. Rafe ran his fingers through my hair, "What happened, Peanut?" I let out a shaky breath, tucking my head into the crook of his neck. Did what just happened really happen? "They replaced me."

_______________

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

A/N:

hi, i'm sorry i made this happen,
but it had to happen.

don't kill me please.

love y'all hehe