nine ✰

"Marley Avery Redfield."

My feet froze in their spot in the middle of the kitchen. "Dad." Liam Redfield, my forty-something year old father, groaned as he shoved his fingers through his curly blonde hair, a trait I didn't get from him. "What were you thinking, Angel? I was worried sick."

The allergy incident, right.

"I wasn't thinking." I mumbled, "I was hungry and just grabbed some food." I flinched when his hands slammed down on the kitchen island. What the fuck? "Dammit, Marley, you can't just not think! You know our insurance is shot right now. That stupid 'I wasn't thinking mistake' just cost me thousands of dollars."

My jaw dropped. Thousands of dollars?

"Dad i-" He just shook his head, dismissing my efforts to explain myself. "Your mother was worried sick about you! You could've died." A disgusted laugh fell out of my mouth at the mention of her. "Meghan left 5 years ago. Why does she still care about what goes on in my life?"

"She is your mother, Marley Avery." He scoffed and I just shook my head. He was still defending her? "She stopped being my mother the day she walked out of that door!" I was yelling now, tears stinging at my eyes.

My dad was livid with me and I could see it. "It was a mutual divorce, why can't you get that through that fucking head of yours?" Mutual for you maybe. "You two agreed to leave each other, Dad! I never fucking agreed to being okay with my mother leaving me." What went through my mother's mind to make her think that completely abandoning her only child wouldn't cause any damage?

"You're such a fucking ungrateful child, you hear that?" he seethed as I willed myself into not letting any tears fall. Why was he so worked up over an allergic reaction? It was like my father was bringing everything that bothered him about me over the past few years. A normal parent would be freaking out and making sure their child was okay before cursing them out and calling them ungrateful. "Who do you think made me this way?"

I probably shouldn't have said that.

My eyes widened as I saw my dad raise his hand. Before he went any further, a car horn sounded from out in the driveway. Both of us broke eye contact and turned to see who was in our driveway. I let my eyes focus in on the vehicle, a black truck.

Rafe.
I quickly grabbed my cell phone from the counter and slid some shoes on that were by the door, and all but ran from the house. The vehicle doors unlocked as I approached it and I swung open the passenger door, climbing in. "Just drive." It came out mumbled, but I didn't care. Rafe, however, had a smile fall from his face before doing as I said.

Clearly not the warm welcome he was expecting.

"He almost hit me." my words came out as a whisper. The sudden jolt of Rafe's head toward me clued me into the fact that my voice wasn't as quiet as I thought it was. "What?" Warm tears rolled down my cheeks as I finally let them go. "My dad almost hit me."

Rafe's face dropped as his hand found mine. He interlaced our fingers and squeezed my hand, "So, I came at the right time?" I nodded quickly, my lip quivering. His eyes flickered back to the road, "I'm sorry." I let my head fall against the window, just enjoying the scenery passing by.

After a few minutes of silence, it was like my mind finally decided to process the situation at hand. I sat up quickly, our hands falling from each other as I did. I swear I saw a faint frown on his lips, but before I could look again it disappeared. "Why did you come to my house?" My eyes were focused on his side profile, that damn side profile.

Wait, no.

Marley, he's a Kook. Stop it.

"I wanted to check on you, make sure you were okay from yesterday. Ya know?" he shrugged, his eyes still on the road. "And maybe I wanted to hang out with you. You're a fun person, Bambi."A smirk played on my face as I leaned my arms down on the center console, "You mean to tell me that the Rafe Cameron doesn't actually hate all Pogues?"

His eyes went wide and he started rambling. It was actually kind of cute. "I uh.... Well, you see. That's the thing, Bambi, I-" he stopped talking, his eyes flickering over to me. I squirmed slightly in my seat at the sight of him looking me up and down. "Are you still in your pajamas?" His lips were in a smirk as he asked the question, my face immediately went white.

I stared down at my clothing and sure enough I was still in the clothes I had worn to sleep last night. Of course I had to pick probably my shortest pair of pj shorts and a simple tank top, with no bra on to my luck, to flee my house in. "Shit." I was laughing now. "I had left my room to go get breakfast and then ran out of the house when you came." He nodded, looking forward again. "It's cute." I laughed, playfully punching his arm.

"Would you like to go anywhere specific, Bambi?" I glanced over at him as he drove. "Well, I need some clothes before we do anything... and there's no way I'm going back home now. Take me somewhere, Powerpuff Girl?" His face contorted at the nickname, probably because he's not the biggest fan of it. JJ always used that nickname for Rafe and his friends. Maybe I should come up with a new nickname for the Kook boy? "How about Target? Get you a bikini and some outer clothes?" An idea popped into my head and a smirk stretched across my lips.

"Sounds perfect, but you have to go into the store while I stay in the car."

_____________

☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎☯︎

A/N: HELLO FRIENDS

So we may or may not be switching up the updating order... but I'm also pretty sure that no one has guessed correctly yet... ANYWAYS

How does everyone like the story so far?

What have been your favorite parts?

Let us know! We love the feedback on the story.

But seriously, has anyone figured out who I am? I've written chapters 1 & 5 and now this one:)