chapter nine

Hazel learned quickly that the La Rue's were more than just lovers of war.

While Clarisse seemed to like the idea of war, Frank thought differently. The two siblings varied a lot.

Hazel couldn't help but be attracted to Frank. He was sweet, caring, but also firm and an admirable leader.

Although it took a while for the three of them to get it together (hence the "NOT SO GOOD, JACKSON!"), they eventually had a pretty decent first go at ruling.

Currently they were waiting on the guards to bring in the next citizen with a pity problem.

Clarisse was obviously annoyed and impatient. She was tapping her foot on the ground loudly and fast.

"I'm going to see what the hold up is," Hazel said, getting up, but Frank held his hand out.

"Not to be rude, but let me." He said sweetly, smiling softly. "I don't want either if you getting hurt."

While Hazel's face flushed a beet red, Clarisse snorted as her brother walked out the door.

"He really seems to like you, huh?"

Hazel flinched at Clarisse question. Why would Frank like her? She was a daughter of King Hades. She didn't seem so interesting in her own eyes.

When Hazel didn't respond, Clarisse walked over to her.

The daughter of Ares looked into Hades's daughter's eyes.

"He likes you, that much is obvious." She said, her eyes not moving away from Hazel's. "If he doesn't make a move soon, then you'll have too."

Clarisse winked as she walked back to her chair. Just then Frank walked in, with no guards in tow.

"Percy Annabeth, and Jason took them all." Frank said, looking a hit relived.

"They're going to overwork themselves." Hazel sighed.

Clarisse rolled her eyes. "Let Prissy, Princess, and His Royal Booty take them all."

Hazel wanted to question her word choices badly, but she kept her tongue. She really didn't want to know what was going on Clarisse's head.

Frank was nervous. Not only because he didn't see any guards on his little trip, but he wanted to ask Hazel out.

He twiddled his thumbs silently as his sister watched him and Hazel looked out the window, like she wanted to go outside.

Clarisse have Frank a long look. He got the message.

He cleared his throat. Hazel looked over, and Clarisse quietly walked out. They were alone, except for the castle slaves and guards lingering around.

Frank stuck his hands deep down in his pockets. He mustered up some up the courage he had left in his body.

"Would you be willing to go outside with me?" Frank asked quickly.

Hazel raised her eyebrows, but she smiled at him and nodded.

Frank was ecstatic. Hazel had never seen happier. She giggled softly, walking over to him.

He held out his arm, and she took it with joy.

•••

As they walked down the silent corridors, Hazel could've help but notice the shortage of guards.

She didn't want to interrupt the date, so she silently walked along with Frank.

Frank's heart pace quickened as he felt Hazel's warmth. Her beautiful skin, her bright golden eyes.... it made Frank want to jump in a kiss her.

Hazel leaned her head on Frank's shoulder, she craved the comfort that she had never gotten growing up. She felt Frank tense a bit, but then relax.

They both felt comfortable with each other, despite not knowing each other for a very long time.

As they reached the doors outside, the guards crossed their swords over another, blocking the entrance.

"I apologize, your highnesses, but we were given orders from a higher head to not let you go outside again."

Why would Percy not let us go outside? The boy who forced us in the rain? Hazel wondered.

Frank seemed to have the same thought, but he didn't seem to keen upon asking them. He just turned around, with Hazel still by his side.

When they were out of an ear shot, Frank looked at her with a gleam in his eye.

"You want to sneak out?"

Frank's words surprised him just as much as Hazel. She nodded, excited to find out where this was going.

•••

The air felt like a slap across the face. Hazel breathed in the smell of fish, bread, and salt water.

The roof was a perfect place for a date, in Hazel's opinion. It was a bit windy, and Hazel wasn't even bothered by the heights.

"What is life like in Thebes?" Frank asked.

Hazel thought for a moment. "Pretty dull and sad. Hades has had two wives before Queen Persephone. Queen Maria was his first, and he had Nico and his sister Bianca with her. Maira and Bianca died of sickness.

No wonder Nico always looks so depressed. Frank thought.

"Then he married my mom, Queen Marie. I don't think he knew she had a daughter. Then my mom died by being crushed to death while visiting a mountain to see her family. It's put a lot of strain on him."

"So you weren't born into royalty?" Frank asked, surprised. Hazel didn't seem to bothered by telling him this. She probably had told the story thousands of times.

"My mother was a noble's daughter before she had an affair with Lord Pluto, my biological father. When Queen Maria died, she got married off to Hades."

"Oh," Frank said stupidly.

Hazel giggled. "What's it like in Sparta?"

"Bloody. It's all war." Frank shook his head. "I don't like war very much. Clarisse does, probably because her mother liked war too, before Ares killed her for cheating when Clarisse was young. Clarisse doesn't like to think or talk about it, even though she doesn't remember."

Hazel gasped. She never heard about the queen of Sparta cheating on her husband.

"Then he married my mom, who was a skilled fighter that caught his eye. She doesn't like war, but she fought so her younger brother wouldn't have to. Her family needed he money, so she agreed to marry him. Then came me."

Hazel wasn't surprised that someone who would go to war for her brother was the mother of Frank.

Not all children of war are blood-shedding lovers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah.

Sorry this was late :(

Sorry it's bad

I've been busy, and the next update may be late. I don't know.

Comment your thoughts! I love reading and responding. <3