chapter fifteen

There was a knock on the door. Kayla got up from the chair she was sitting it. They had just got back from their third day of training, and she was exhausted.

But she also had to admit that she had been enjoying every second of it. She had easily learned how to grasp the bow and shot the target easily.

Will was another story. He was not bad, but he didn't have the same satisfaction of watching the arrow shoot through the air like Kayla did. Will seemed to prefer patching up everyone's injuries.

She opened the door to find Prince Austin, holding a letter and looking frantic.

Before she could address him, he hurriedly said, " 'Sup, Kay. Will here?"

"He's in the bath right now," she said, questioning his every move. The 'Kay' nickname took her off guard, but she decided to ignore the casual phrase he used.

Austin ran over to the bathroom door and began banging on it frantically. "Will! Hurry. This is important."

Will came out in a flash. "What is it? Is anyone hurt?"

"Someone about to be," Austin shoved the letter in Will's face. Once he got it facing the right way, he froze. His face went pale.

"T-that's Dad's seal...." Will whispered.

"It gets worse." Austin promised.

Will opened the letter with shaking hands. With every word he read, his face paled more and his stomach dropped more and more into the abyss.

Will threw the letter on the ground. He stomped on it. After that, he slowly picked it up.

"Kayla?" Will asked delicately. She hadn't heard that voice since she heard him talking to Austin for the first time when he was born.

Kayla walked over to them. Will read the letter in a slightly shaken voice.

"Dearest Prince Will and Prince Austin,

I bare news. I hope that you know of the Roman suspicion, and I fear for my and your lives.

Knowing this, I must tell the both of you, and Kayla something I have been keeping close to my chest, but I believe you all are ready.

Kayla is your half sibling. I had an affair about a year before Austin was born. In fear of her life, I gave her to a trusted slave, and eventually made her Will's personal one.

I deeply regret the things I have done to her, but I believe if I wasn't as hard on her as I usually would on personal slaves, suspicion would rise and she would be killed for being my bastard daughter.

I beg for forgiveness from Kayla, although I don't believe it was deserved."

"And it had Dad's signature." Will concluded.

Both of the boys looked at Kayla, longing to see her reaction, as they did not know how to feel about their own.

Kayla recalled every hit the whip gave her on her back. It tingled just thinking about it. Her heart pace quickened. The room felt like it was spinning. Tears began to well in her eyes and she fought to keep them inside her.