chapter twenty-two

Kayla's once ginger hair was now a greasy brown. The gross smell of dead flesh was rotting her nose and she could only guess who the blood leaking through the cells belonged to.

Austin looked terrible. His eyes were sunken, and he barley spoke. His stomach begged for food, and neither of them were getting a proper proportion.

But Austin, the brother she never really knew, had been sneaking her bits of food in hopes to keep her alive a bit longer.

Kayla inched closer to her dying brother and clutched his hand. Austin was used to Will keeping him locked. Will had always been there, and now all they could do was hope Will was there giving them strength like he always done.

Austin weakly reached over and lightly rubbed Kayas scars. Austin had been too young to know the full extent of what had happened, but he was no longer shielded by childhood innocence. He knew what had happened, and it killed his that he couldn't be there for her. Even if he didn't even know they were related.

Such a small gesture, but it meant the world to Kayla. Maybe everything will be—

Just in the prime of her thoughts, Kayla heard their cell door unlock. This wasn't time for food. It was a time for something unpleasant Kayla believed.

Austin removed his hand from her back and clutched her hand. Their hands refused to be separated.

The guard looked at them with a snake-like sneer. He looked at Austin like he was a baby rat, an easy kill. Kayla shut her eyes tight in hope that the pain would be going away.

Austin's hand was so tight around here that she was beginning to loose feeling in it. But she didn't care. She was with at least one of her brothers. She put her hand on his wrist, where she could feel his slow and unstable pulse.

Through her shut eyes, she heard a gasp escape from Austin's mouth. She felt a sticky substance gliding down his hand. She smelled a metallic me scent running through her nostrils. The grasp on Austin's hand did not cease, and she felt no longer felt a pounding pulse in his wrist. 

Soon enough, Kayla let out her own series of gasps. It was a musical show to the snake guard. The sound of the gasps made up a sadistic kind of symphony for the Roman.

The dark cell would no longer be home for Kayla—she was going to see the sun. 

~~~