FIVE

It's good to change

It's good to change

_____________________________

I heard the door open to my house as I was back in District Two.

I poked my head around the corner as I saw my mom and dad walking in taking their shoes off. I heard their heavy footsteps down the hallway to my kitchen.

"Hi my darling, how are you feeling?" My father asked and kissed my forehead.

"I'm okay today," I said truthfully. My mother shooed me away from the food that I had started for dinner. I sat down next to my father at the island. "How's home?"

"The same as always," My mother said. "Good to know you're keeping this place filthy." I sighed as she brought out the broom. "We're having guests for gods sake. You couldn't find the time to clean?"

"I've been busy on tour, and keeping up with the millions of doctors appointments you scheduled for me. If you have the time to clean please be my guest" She just rolled her eyes at me and continued to sweep the whole kitchen.

"Don't mind her Kat, you know she likes to keep her hands full," My father said. I nodded slowly. "She'll hear about it from her sister too. You know, since your cousin is coming over to watch the announcement." The time of year I hated most, when my Aunt Lacey and my cousin, the other victor, who won a couple of years ago. I can't stand either of them. They're truly like every other person here in Two.

"You really had to invite them?" I mumbled. My father chuckled.

"It's only for one evening my beauty, besides Roland and Cato will be here as well. Doesn't that make you feel better?"

"I guess," I muttered. Being trapped in the same house with my mom, my aunt, and my cousin Amelia. God help me.

I heard the door open and I got up from my stool. I walked down the hall to see Roland and I sighed in relief. He took his scarf off along with his coat and boots.

"Hey stranger," I said with a smile. He smiled back when my blue eyes met his. I wrapped both of my arms around him and I hugged him tightly.

"You looked like a robot up there on that stage." I shrugged.

"Basically am these days." We walked down the hall and Roland greeted my parents. "Apparently my cousin and aunt are coming over to watch the announcement of the 75th Hunger Games."

"Oh that'll be fun," Roland said and glanced at me. "Haven't seen Amelia in months I think." That's for the best. She has such a bitchy personality.

The door opened and I rolled my eyes as I heard my Aunt Lacey's high voice.

"It smells wonderful in here," I heard her say. My mom stopped what she was doing to go greet her sister. Roland grabbed my arm as we were the only two left in the kitchen. I walked over to the two of them with my arms crossed over my chest. Amelia's judgmental eyes trailed down my body and back up to my face. She sent me a fake smile.