The Roommates

Yaaba read somewhere that, one of the best ways to live long is to find means and ways to live in peace with others. She thought to herself, "Even in SHS that we were 20 in a room I could cope, how much more 3?"
But there was this teeny tiny frightening voice at the back of her mind that this might be different. As she continued to think, she heard the door rattling. It seemed someone was trying to enter.
Immediately she stood up to see who was at the door, the door opened and two ladies entered.
One was short. Perhaps 5'2. She was really slim though. You would think she's anorexic. She had an oval face, her face was beautiful though. She looked snubbish.
Yaaba chastised herself for judging someone upon first meeting.
The next girl was tall. Such contrast. She was taller than Yaaba. Meaning she could be 5'7. She was fair but plain.
"Shut up Yaaba. Are you God? Have you created a human being before? " Her subconscious hit hard at her.
"Hi, new roommate, the tall one said."
"Hello, Yaaba said in her tiny voice."
"I'm Alice Frimpong, the tall one said."
"I'm Yaaba Lawson"
"And I'm Miriam," the short one said.
"I wonder why Miriam didn't mention her surname. Perhaps, it's the scary one some, she thought to herself whilst snickering."
"Nice to meet you girls"
"Same here, they chorused."
Alice started, "Well, Miriam and I are from the same school. Baidoo Bonsoe senior high. It's in the Western Region. We are................."
Miriam cut her short, "We just met her. Why are you talking too much?"
"Ei, na this short girl too erh. She reminds me of Desireè of Mara Clara" Yaaba said to herself with a smile on her face.
Alice noticed the smile and asked, "Ei, why are you smiling like that?"
Yaaba straightened her face and said, "I was just reminiscing the jollof rice I ate"
"Ala foodie. We've gotten a foodie o, Alice jokingly said."
"Ah well, food is life. If we no chop, wetin we gain"
The ladies burst out laughing.
Miriam said this time with a smile, "Wow. And I thought you were quiet. Nice one"
"Yah man"
The girls laughed again.
"So we were planning on going to a supermarket to do a little shopping. Care to join, Miriam asked "
Yaaba weighed her options. Either she joins them and bond or wait in boredom for them. Mira was not yet in school, after all the noise she was making about seeing fine boys. Most of her Akosombo friends chose to study abroad and then few went to University of Ghana and Central University. KNUST was too far for them.
"Earth to Yaaba, Alice snapped her fingers, Are you coming or not?"
"Oh yeah I'm coming. Let's go and spoil there"
The girls laughed again.

______________________________
Ah well- a shrug expression
Ala- a form of hailing someone
Foodie- someone who likes food
Wetin we gain- What have we gained
We no chop- We don't eat
Jollof rice- a delicious African dish made with rice.

Not edited.

Kindly share, vote and comment.

❤️