1

Everyone wants to die at some point. It's a normal part of life, wishing that things were easier than they are. Except some people really want to die. And for a little while, I did too. Until he saved my life.

I was standing on the edge of the building's top. I know that's a terrible way to try and kill yourself, to jump off of a building. But it was one in the morning and my suicidal drunk ass decided I'd had enough of being alive.

I stared out at the LA city lights that I wouldn't ever see again. I'd never see anything again. I took a deep breath and looked down at the ground that I'd be hitting in a few moments.

And then the door to the roof busted open.

"No way! That's great news, man. You know we've got to have a party to celebrate," said a guy walking onto the roof into a phone. And then he looked over at me.

I'm not sure if it was my tear stained face or wobbling stance that told him what was about to happen, but I am sure that he wasn't going to let me get hurt.

"Hey! Get down! Right now!" he yelled, dropping his phone to the ground. He ran over to me and yanked me off the edge, sending me into a fit of tears. I collapsed into his arms.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"No, no, don't apologize. What's going on?" he asked in a worried tone.

"I just... I don't know. I can't be here anymore," I whispered.

"What? Of course you can. Let's get off the roof and go talk somewhere, okay?" the guy asked. "My name is Colby. I'm going to help you, alright? What's your name?" he asked.

"Rose. My name is Rose," I said.

"Alright, Rose. Let's go downstairs, yeah?" he asked.

"I guess," I mumbled. I'd already survived for 19 years. I could make it another day. I wasn't going to scar Colby by killing myself right in front of him.

We made our way to the door when my phone started to ring. I fished it out of my pocket to see 'Mom' on the screen.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Rose, baby, where are you?" she asked.

"I'm... I'm at home. What's up?" I asked.

"It's your Aunt Sami, baby," she whimpered.

"Oh no," I whispered. Sami had been battling breast cancer for the past few months. We all knew she was losing her fight, but we didn't know when she would actually die. Now, I guess.

"I can't fucking take this shit!" I screamed. I threw my phone onto the ground and stomped on it until it was nothing but a pile of shards. "I can't do this. Colby, let me go. You leave and you let me be."

"What? No! I'm not letting you hurt yourself," he replied.

"You're a fucking stranger, dude! You don't even know me! Now leave me alone!" I screamed.

"No!" he argued.

"Leave!" I yelled.

"Make a deal with me, then," he said.

"What kind of deal?" I asked.

"You make a list. You make a list of everything you want to do before you die. We'll finish that list together and if you still want to die after everything, then I won't stop you," he said.