11

Colby drove me to the hospital. I continuously reminded him that I'd ended up only taking three, which was safe, but he ignored that and took me to the emergency room anyway. We got all checked in at the front desk and were told to go to the waiting room. I sat down in one of the chairs and Colby plopped down next to me. I looked over at him to see that he was already staring down at me. I rolled my eyes and got up to go sit somewhere else, but he followed me over to my other chair. I tried again, but he still followed.

                "Colby, leave me alone! I already let you drag me here when I'm in no danger of dying," I said.

                "You're in danger of dying every time you're alone, baby," he said.

                "Don't call me that. I'm fine," I replied.

                "No, you're not. Physically you might be. But you're not okay," Colby answered. I sighed and crossed my arms, deciding not to talk to him anymore.

                After about 30 minutes, a nurse came out and called out my name. I got up to go into the back and Colby followed.

                "Stay out here," I said.

                "Please, she needs someone," Colby said to the nurse.

                "How old are you, Rose?" she asked.

                "I'm 19. Perfectly capable of being alone," I said.

                "No, she's not," argued Colby.

                "Are you family?" asked the nurse.

                "No. He's my neighbor," I said.

                "I'm her friend, too. I'm the one that found her," said Colby.

                "You can come back to tell me what happened. If Rose wants you to leave after that, I need to respect confidentiality and let her be alone if that's what she wants," said the nurse. Colby nodded in response and the nurse led us back to a small room.

                "My name is Laynie. I'll be helping you today. Tell me what happened," said the nurse as she got out some supplies to take my vitals. I stayed silent, deciding to let Colby talk so Laynie could kick him out after.

                "I went over to her house to see her and she was standing in her bathroom putting pills into her mouth," said Colby.

                "What and how many did you take, honey?" asked Laynie.

                "Three 400 milligram capsules of Ibuprofen. Which is within the daily dosage," I replied.

                "She was trying to take more so she could kill herself," said Colby.

                "Can he leave now?" I asked, turning to Laynie.

                "Yes. Colby, please go back to the waiting room. I'll come tell you what we decide to do," she said.

                "Seriously? I can't be in here?" he asked.

                "If she doesn't want you in here, she's not a minor, and you're not family, then no," said Laynie. Colby chuckled angrily and shook his head.

                "I'm just trying to save your life, Rose," he said before getting up to leave the room.

                "Well give up!" I said as he walked out of the door. Laynie sighed before sticking a thermometer under my tongue.