22

"Up, let's go!" Krystal said, yanking open my curtains.

"Ew, gross, a morning person," I groaned, burying my face in my pillow.

"More like a 3pm person. I think an over 12 hour depression nap is sufficient," she said.

"Okay, so that's called sleeping," I said.

"Yeah, yeah. We've got a party to get ready for, ma'am. And an important topic to discuss," said Krystal. "But it should involve Jess, so let me go grab her." Krystal made her way back into the room a minute later, Jess braiding her hair as she followed her in.

"What up, fucker?" Jess said.

"So. Rose's birthday," said Krystal.

"Oh yeah, I've been meaning to bring that up. It's in a couple of weeks. What are we doing for it?" asked Jess.

"Dying," I groaned dramatically.

"No," said Krystal.

"I was just kidding," I said defensively.

"Not funny," said Jess.

"Krystal, don't you have to go back to Washington at some point?" I asked.

"Yeah, in a couple days. But I can take off another three or four day weekend. Your birthday's on a Saturday, anyway," she said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes. Of course I'm sure. You're turning 20. I have to be here to watch you get old," she laughed.

"Plus I have hella flight points. I can get tickets for cheap," said Jess.

"Ugh, no thank you. I hate flying unless I have to like I did to get to the funeral. I'd much rather drive," said Krystal.

"Why?" I asked.

"Flying just scares me, I guess," she said.

"Driving is way more dangerous," I pointed out.

"Since when do you care about personal safety?" Jess asked.

"Alright, fair point," I admitted. "I don't know what I want to do. Maybe just have the Traphouse people come over and we can drink or something. I don't really want anything big."

"Sounds perfect to me," said Jess.

"Me too. I'll come the Friday before your birthday, yeah?" asked Krystal.

"She works, but I'll be here," said Jess.

"Sometimes I forget whose house this is," I said.

"Great, I'll be moving in shortly," said Jess.

"No, oh my lord," I laughed.

"Okay, okay," Krystal giggled. "Let's get ready for this party. I think it starts at nine, but we need to eat and stuff before we go, too."

"What are we wearing?" asked Jess.

"I'm not the person to ask," I said.

"I am," said Krystal. "Shall we explore Sami's closet?"

"We shall," said Jess, following her over to it. I sighed before rolling out of bed to join them in front of the giant closet's door.

"Dress or skirt, Rose?" asked Krystal.

"Whatever you hand me," I shrugged.

"I love dressing her. So easy," said Krystal.

"I hate it. I'm bad enough at coming up with ideas for myself," said Jess. "Ooh, but not in this closet," she continued, plucking a dress off of a hanger.

I ended up in a pink silk dress. Jess wore a white mini skirt with a red lacy top and Krystal went with a black and yellow plaid skirt paired with a black velvet tank top. By the time we finished our hair and makeup and ate dinner, it was time to head over to the Traphouse. We strapped on some heels, except for Krystal who went with some platform boots, and made our way over to their house. We let ourselves inside and Krystal introduced herself to everyone while we waited for Devyn to finish her makeup.

"Okay, it's pretty dark out now," said Sam.

"You guys ready?" Colby asked.

"Sure are," said Jess.

"Let's fucking go," Krystal squealed.

"Okay. So the best way for us to go in and make sure the coast is clear would be to cut through Rose's backyard," said Sam.

"I have to hop a fence in this outfit and these heels?" asked Devyn.

"I had the same thought," I said.

"We can bring a ladder over. It's just next door," Jake pointed out.

"I'll go grab it and meet you guys back there," Corey said, heading to the garage. Jake followed to help him and we all filed out of the front door after grabbing coolers I assumed were full of drinks, me winding up walking next to Colby.

"Hey," he said awkwardly.

"Hi," I replied. We hadn't spoken since he basically told me to get out of his room. I still desperately wanted to know what he was doing, but according to Jess I'd find out eventually.

"Sleep well?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said shortly. We walked in silence for another moment.

"You look really pretty," he said.

"Thanks," I responded. Jesus, this was awkward. We went into my house and through the backyard, then opened the gate that connected my yard to the Traphouse's. Jake and Corey made their way through and carried the ladder over to the other side of my yard. This side didn't have a gate, just an eight foot wooden fence. The guys balanced the ladder against the gate, then waited for the girls to climb over before following. We quickly made our way through the backyard before approaching the backdoor.

"Hold up," said Corey. "Is it not locked?"

"Oh my god," said Colby.

"How did I not think of that?" asked Sam.

"We all have our moments," Kat said.

"I got it," said Krystal. She pulled two bobby pins out of her hair and walked over to the door. After Tara tried it and verified that it was locked, Krystal squatted down and got to work.

"You know how to pick locks?" asked Jake.

"You don't?" she laughed before standing up and pushing the door open. "Welcome to the Playboy Mansion."

We pushed inside and wandered through the giant house, setting all of the coolers on the kitchen counter.

"Rose, you and Colby unload those. We'll go set up the speaker," said Jess, pulling it out of her bag.

"And Tara and I brought little string lights to hang," said Kat.

"They're blacklights!" Tara added excitedly.

"We need to run back to the house and grab cups, I forgot," said Devyn, pulling Corey with her.

"Jake and I can go unlock the front door and figure out how to open the gate up front," said Sam. Everyone split up to get to work, leaving Colby and I taking cans and bottles out of the coolers.

"So," he said.

"So?" I asked.

"You excited for your first rager?" he asked.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked.

"What?" I asked.

"Are you mad?" he repeated.

"No. Why?" I asked.

"I don't know, I just feel like you're being short with me," he replied.

"I mean, I'm a bit confused as to what happened back there when I got home early," I responded.

"I promise you'll find out eventually," he said.

"Promise?" I asked.

"Promise," he replied.