29

I woke up to two obnoxious sounds at the same time. My phone ringing and someone knocking at my door.

"Hello?" I asked, stumbling out of bed to get the door.

"Hi Rosie," said Eli.

"Hey! How are you?" I asked.

"No," he replied.

"Huh?" I asked.

"I don't want to lie about how I'm doing, but no is the only thing that describes my mood," he said.

"You know what? That's a fat fucking mood, sir. Hold on, there's someone at my door," I said, pulling it open to reveal Colby. "Colby, hey, come on in."

"Who are you on the phone with?" he asked. I held up a finger to him, telling him to wait.

"Sorry, I can tell you're busy, but you left your purse in my car last night. It's got your car keys in it," said Eli.

"Aw, shit. Of course I'd leave my purse," I sighed.

"Want me to bring it by? I'm not far from your place," he asked.

"Yeah, sure," I said.

"Okay. See you soon," he said.

"Bye," I replied, hanging up the phone.

"So?" asked Colby.

"What?" I asked.

"Who was it?"

"How was filming Jake's video last night?" I shot back. Colby clenched his jaw and sighed.

"Look, I know a YouTube video doesn't sound all that important and I'm sorry I didn't stop to think about your perspective on the situation. But to us, this is our life. This is how we make our money. This is what we do. To me, cancelling last night was the same as being called into the office," he said. I sighed and stared at him.

"It's okay," I said.

"I'm sorry I ruined your night," he replied.

"Ruined my night? Oh, no. Last night might have been the best night of my life," I said.

"Because I cancelled on you?" Colby asked, confused.

"No, Colby. My world does not revolve around you. My world revolves around me, so that is who I chose to pay attention to and take care of last night. So I went out and did something fun," I replied.

"With Jess?" he asked.

"No," I said.

"With who?"

"Someone from the support group you practically begged me to join," I said.

"Oh. Is she nice?" he asked.

"She?" I asked.

"Yeah, was the girl you hung out with last night nice?"

"It...you know what? Yes. She's lovely," I said. Dickhead. "In fact, she will be here soon because I left my purse in her car."

"Cool. So did you want to reschedule that date?" he asked.

I know I should have said yes. I know that.

"No," I said.

"What?" he asked.

"I'm good. Thanks, though," I said.

"Uh...yeah. You're welcome?" he said, confused. The doorbell rang and I turned away from Colby to go open the door.

"Rosie, hey!" Eli said, stepping inside and wrapping me in a hug.

"Hi!" I replied, hugging him back. I could practically feel Colby's glare fixed on the back of my head.

"Oh, where are my manners? I'm Eli, what's up man?" Eli said, offering Colby a handshake.

"And who exactly are you?" Colby asked.

"Oh, I just met Rosie last night. We hung out for a while after this thing we had," Eli explained.

"You said it was a girl!" Colby said, staring past Eli.

"No, you assumed it was a girl," I replied.

"Are you the guy who blew her off last night?" asked Eli.

"I didn't blow her off! I had to work!" Colby exclaimed.

"Based on the way she reacted, I'm guessing it wouldn't have killed you to just skip work for a night," Eli shot back.

"Okay, well, this is getting wonderfully uncomfortable," I said, walking over to join them. "Colby, this is Eli. We met last night at support group and hung out for a few hours. Eli, this is Colby, my neighbor."

"Ah, you guys have that next-door neighbor thing going on. I see it. Maybe I should move into the house on the other side and we can start a big love triangle," Eli said.

I thought that was funny. Colby didn't.

"I doubt you could afford it anyway," Colby muttered.

"Dude, seriously?" I asked.

"What?" asked Colby.

"I couldn't afford this place. You had to cancel on me last night for a single YouTube video so you can, according to you, 'make your money'. Don't bring up money like it's something you don't have right after saying you just had to stay home last night because of it," I said.

"I literally live in the Beverly Hills Flats, bro. I could make it work," said Eli.

"He's a singer. A good one," I said to Colby.

"I'm sure he is," Colby said, rolling his eyes.

"Okay, well, I got called into the studio today. Did you want me to take you to your car?" asked Eli after an uncomfortable silence.

"Yes, please," I said. Colby awkwardly trailed behind us out of the door, walking home while Eli and I climbed into the Jeep and began the drive back to the parking lot my car was still sitting in.

"Alright, I've got to be honest with you. I lied," said Eli.

"What? About what?"

"Being called in to the studio. That shit was just way too awkward for me to handle. I was nice to the guy and he was just a passive dick," he replied.

"You're not wrong," I admitted.

"So, on that note, want to hang out again? Go do something fun?" he asked.

"I'm down," I said.

"Sick. What do you want to do?" he asked. I stared out the window, reading the signs on the different shops lining the streets as we drove by.

"You know, I've always wanted to get a tattoo," I said.