14

Jess didn't come back from break. I tried to call her, but she didn't answer. Colby went outside and said her car was gone, too. She didn't answer any of my calls or texts and turned off her Snap maps location so I couldn't see where she was.

"Colby, I'm worried about her," I said as we made our way out to his car after I clocked out for the night.

"I know," he replied. "I'm assuming she's never like this?"

"Nope. Not ever," I said. "She's right, though. I should have called her."

"It's your decision on who you want to talk to, Rose," he pointed out.

"I know, but I promised her I'd reach out if I needed help. And I obviously needed help."

"I get that she might be mad, but I'd be happy if I were her. Just to know that you're okay, I mean," he said.

"Yeah, I guess," I mumbled.

"Hey, can I ask what set you off?" he asked.

"Yeah. I was going through some old photo albums I found of Sami before she got sick. And then my mom sent me the details about the funeral and... I don't know. It all just sort of hit. I guess I feel sort of bad for just moving into her house and taking over the life she worked so hard to build," I explained.

"If she left it for you, then she wanted you to have it," he said. Hm. That was a good point. "So when is the funeral?"

"In like, a week. I wasn't going to go, though," I said.

"No? How come?" he asked.

"I don't know. I've never been to a funeral. I don't want it to make me feel any worse," I replied.

"Won't your mom be there?" he asked. "And your dad?"

"I don't have a dad. I've never met him, I mean. But you're right about my mom... I don't want to leave her alone. Maybe I will go. I don't know. I don't want to think about that right now," I sighed, rubbing my eyes. "It's in Canada at this place called, like, Haida Gwaii. Some island or something she loved to go to. They're spreading her ashes as a funeral."

"Did you want me to come with you?" he asked.

"No, no. I think this is something I'm going to have to do alone. Besides, you don't know anyone in my family," I said.

"Maybe a funeral isn't the best place to meet your mother," he said. I looked over at him as we pulled up to the Traphouse.

"Did you, like, want to meet my mom?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Well I don't know," he shrugged.

"Why?" I asked.

"Why what?" Jake asked, running over and opening Colby's door.

"Well hey there, bud," Colby said.

"Yup. Get out, come on. I left something in here," said Jake. We got out of his car and Jake climbed in, digging through the cracks in the seats until he pulled out a paddle ball. "There she is. Now why what?" he asked, playing with it.

"I asked why he wants to meet my mom," I said.

"Simple. So he can get her blessing for marrying you," said Jake.