19

The funeral was... well, it was a funeral. It was depressing. But the place we went was absolutely gorgeous and my mom was happy to see me and Krystal again.

We flew back to Washington on Thursday, then began the drive down to LA from Krystal's place. We stopped in Northern California for Thursday night, since the drive was over 17 hours, then got back into the car the next day and kept driving.

We managed to make it back earlier than expected, her car rolling up to park behind mine at 9pm.

"You know, this house is pretty fucking sick," said Krystal.

"I know. It's unreal. And you're welcome anytime," I said.

"You're welcome in Washington anytime, too. I've missed you, girl," she replied.

"I've missed you, too," she said. "Hey, whose cars are those?" she asked, pointing at a silver Nissan and a red Toyota.

"Those would be Jess and Colby's cars," I said.

"They really just think they own the place, don't they?" Krystal asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah, but I don't mind," I replied. We got out of the car and grabbed our suitcases before making our way to the door. But when I tried to turn the handle, I found it locked.

"Did they—,"

"Lock me out of my own house? Yes," I said. I typed my birthday into the keypad and tried again, but it didn't work. "Are you fucking me?" I asked. Why had they come over and changed the code to my own front door? I banged on the door with my fist. "Open up, asshats!" I yelled.

Colby cracked the door a minute later, his face laced with shock to see me so soon.

"Rose! You're... you're here," he said.

"Yes, and so are you. Can I ask why I've been locked out of my own house?" I asked.

"Go to the Traphouse. We'll text you later," Jess said, appearing next to Colby.

"This is literally my house," I argued.

"We're aware. Krystal, you can come in," said Jess.

"What the fuck," I said. Krystal shrugged, then went inside. "Why are—,"

"Can't talk, gotta go, see you," said Jess before closing my own door in my face. "Bruh," I said to the closed door in front of me. I sighed, annoyed, then walked over to the Traphouse and went inside.

"Colby? You done already?" Sam called.

"Done with what?" I asked.

"Rose?" he asked, walking into the entryway. "Shit, you're early."

"Yes, and apparently not allowed into my own house," I said. "I'm exhausted and I just wanted to sleep in my own bed."

"Oof. They should be done soon," said Sam.

"Done with what?" I asked again.

"Nothing," Sam said.

"Just go nap in Colby's room," Jake said, joining us while eating a banana. "He won't care." I sighed and nodded, then made my way up the stairs to the master bedroom. I flopped down onto his bed and yawned. I'd slept in the car, but something about long drives just drained me. I rolled onto my side and pulled his blanket up to my chin. I closed my eyes and felt my mind drift to Colby.

I thought about the night we'd met, when I was ready to just let myself fall. I thought about him showing up to my work the next day, the way he really followed through with the list. I thought about how we'd already began to check things off. I sat up and wondered what we even had left to do. I pulled out my phone and went to the picture I'd taken of his list.

We'd already destroyed something, ridden a roller coaster, and kissed in the rain. Oh, god, that kiss. That was one hell of a kiss. I hoped I'd get to kiss him again, and I hoped I could do it soon. But obviously I couldn't right now, considering I was locked out of my own house.

"Aw man, you falling asleep on me?" Colby asked, walking into the room.

"You still locking me out of my house?" I responded.

"No," he said.

"Then no, I'm not falling asleep," I said. "Now can I see what you did?"

"There's nothing to see," he shrugged, plopping down onto the bed next to me.

"What?" I asked. "But Sam said you were doing something."

"Well then Sam was wrong," he replied.

"Then... what were you doing in my house without me? And refusing to let me inside?" I asked.

"Nothing," he mumbled. "But you can go home. Krystal and Jess are there, I know you're probably tired from the drive."

"Uh, yeah. I am," I said.

"Cool. See you later," he replied. I looked up at him, confused. What?

"Okay... see you, I guess," I said awkwardly. I crawled out of his bed and made my way out the front door and over to mine. "Hello?" I called out into my open entryway.

"Hey, you! Welcome back! How was Canada?" Jess asked, rushing over to give me a giant hug, Krystal trailing behind her.

"Good, good," I said.

"Yay! I'm glad," she said. "How was the funeral?"

"Depressing and boring," I said.

"I guess that's to be expected," she shrugged.

"So... are you going to tell me why Colby was in here with you and not letting me inside, or...?" I trailed off.

"Nah. It's his thing to say. He'll tell you when he thinks you're ready," she replied.

"When I'm ready?" I asked.

"It's really not important," said Jess.

"Do you guys want to order some pizza for dinner?" Krystal asked.

"Yeah, sure," I said quietly. She knew what had happened, as did Jess. 

What wasn't I 'ready' for?