Momma knows best

Brad and I have been "fighting" over what the best thing to make the girls feel better now that all three of them are sick. It's been a week and the doctor said it'll pass eventually and we're ready to try almost anything. I say we keep giving them fluids and meds, let them rest and make sure they stay cool. Brad says we just put them in a cold bath and give them lots of water. Clearly, he doesn't know how to take care of a sick child. We were fighting about it when his parents walked in with food for dinner and they both agreed that I was right. "You're such an idiot, Brad."his mom said, glaring that him like he should know better. "We should have done that with you." His dad says.

They're all asleep and Brad and I are cleaning the couch and everything in the kitchen. We've been doing this at least once a day trying to help get rid of the germs and hopefully get this sickness away. I know for one that I can't get sick because everything goes down hill from there, and if Brad gets sick it's like I have a 4th kid just as sick as the other 3, maybe worse.

"This is crazy, if they aren't better in two days we're taking them all back to the doctor." I try to get everything straight. They all have bad colds with sinus infections Aly's asthma is acting up, Jess has a double ear infection, and Shay has strep throat.

Brad can tell I'm overwhelmed and walks over to me pulling me in for a hug "They're gonna be fine. It's March, kids get sick around this time. We just need to make sure we do our best to take care of them."

He always knows how to comfort me. Even the smallest things "I know, I just hate seeing them like this." I stay with him for a while until I hear a cry from upstairs. We separate and I go up to find Shay crying and laying in bed. She normally comes downstairs or walks to the stairs, this is how I know she's really sick.

"What's wrong, honey?" I pick her up and sit on her bed.

She lays her head on me and cries into my chest "Head hurt."

I can hardly stand seeing her and the twins like this. They aren't even close to themselves and there isn't much we can do to help it. "You'll be okay." I rub her back for a while until she falls back asleep and I lay her back on her bed then leave so she can sleep.

Brad surprises me by being in the hall as I leave her room and asks me what's wrong "Her head hurts," I tell him as I make my way to check on the others. He follows me and we stand there are we watch move girls stand in their cribs quietly just looking at each other. They don't even notice us in their room until we walk over and pick them up "It's time for a bath." We tell them.

I get the water ready whilst Brad gets them undressed. They seem a little better now than they were earlier but still have slight fever and bad cough. He puts them both in the tub and sits next to me on the floor outside of it "Do you guys want your toys?" He asks and they say yes so we give them each a few to play with. I start to wash Jess off whilst Brad does Aly's hair and then we switch and take them out.

They stand in the bathroom on the cold tile floor shivering until I wrap each of them up in towels. Brad goes to get them new pajamas and I brush their hair then help them brush their teeth so they're ready for bed. He comes back with the clothed and diapers so we get them dressed then go into our room and sit with them for a little.

We watch them play for a little until they start to get tired again and we take them in for bed. We tuck them in and wait for them to sleep then go back to our room. I throw the empty box of Motrin away and look for a new one but don't find any "I'm gonna go get some more, they'll need it in the morning." I tell Brad. He stays home to be with them and I leave to go to the nearest drug store.

The closest one is about 10 minutes away and it's closed. I look at the time and realize it's almost 10:30, and almost everywhere closes at 10. I drive around until I find another one that is open and I pull in right away. It's basically empty so this should be fast.

I walk in and find the medicine aisle and just as I'm about to turn down it, I see none other than Angelina standing there. The woman who almost ruined my marriage. I want to turn around and find another place, but she's already seen me, and maybe she won't say anything. walking down the aisle I smile at her and go about my business looking for the Motrin.

"Sick kids?" I hear Angelina ask as I pick up two boxes.

I read the back of them carefully deciding which is best and keep the one I want before answering her "All 3, sinus infections among other things."

She looks at me sympathetically "I hope they feel better soon, and you and Brad don't get it." With that, she smiles at me again and walks away towards the check out line.

I stand there confused for a minute. Maybe she is really sorry for what happened, and after all, it is in the past. I get a second box and make my way to the checkout to pay, the faster I get home, the faster I get to sleep.