Sunset

Chapter one - Heartbroken

I hate school. Let's start with that.

School is an awful prison, and it makes it harder and harder to spend time with him.

Before school, I have a date. Well, it's not really a date. I picked up the habit of going to a coffee store near school every morning, and he is always there.

I haven't learned his name yet. I never saw him at my school, and I'm not sure about his age, although he is apparently older. He's always there, and we have talked, laughed and shared drinks for a long time. He is just marvellous.

I might sound like I'm in love, and I think am.

Today, I have another of those dates. No surprise there.

I awoke with the freaking beeping of my alarm clock in all its horror. Not even the thought of him can make me happy. It is way too early. Nobody should be awake at such a horrifying hour of the morning. The sun hasn't even risen!

Complaining to myself, I crawl out of bed and drag myself to the bathroom to take a quick shower. Then, I stare at myself in my body length mirror, trying to choose the perfect outfit.

I hardly spend that much time choosing what to wear, mostly because I'm a fashion icon and I always know what to dress. Says who? Me. I mean, if I don't flatter myself, who will?

I decide on a vapourous long skirt and a tight dark top and walk into our small kitchen, where my mum is cutting some slices of bread, singing quietly to herself. I grab a bagel and give her a side hug as a greeting.

Most people don't believe we're mother and daughter. Her dark hair and eyes contrasts with my much paler complexion, making me look much more like my father. It's the two of us now. I can scarcely remember the time I lived with my father.

When my mum found out about his gambling problem, she got my full custody and I moved in with her. To be honest, I don't miss it. I miss my friends back in Nova's Academy of Art, but besides that, I'm glad I'm here now.

"Bye, mum!" I say as I throw my bag over my shoulder and cross the door.

"See you later, sweetheart."

My morning walk to school is always quiet. There are not enough people awake to cause much racket. The clicking of my heels against the pavement is quite comforting, and the chilly wind of March doesn't bother me.

The sign above the glass double doors says 'WOTT' and a bell rings as I walk in.

The large coffee shop is crowded with brown and beige chairs and tables. The servers move around from table to table, few people inside this early, in their brown uniforms and twinkling smiles. It smells like happiness to me.

I don't need him to turn around to know it is him. I could just see it in his light brown hair and all the black lines painting his arms, snaking inside his shirt. He is sitting on one of the many stools displayed along the counter, also the only one occupied.