Sunset

Chapter 19 - Wedding

Louis watching The Fault in Our Stars with my mum wasn't exactly the scenery I had pictured when Courtney and I walked into the living room

We spent an entire hour deciding on what I would dress for the wedding, deciding on a dark green dress and matching shoes. I have to look good today. Not because of my father, though.

"I brought you drink from that coffee place you like." Louis points at the drinks on the table. "An Americano for Courtney, the Spearmint Special, for you and me and Pipes are trying the blueberry milkshakes. Gotta be honest, they're not so good. I can feel the sugar grains and it tastes more like milk than berries"

I'm aware of that, thank you.

I snatch my drink from the table and take a long sip. And almost spit it all out.

This tastes nothing like before! This tastes like pure coffee with cold spice! When I kissed James, and this probably shouldn't be an example, it tasted like mints. I'm disappointed. But then again, he mostly drinks bitter drinks.

I'd like to change my previous statement about my favourite drink. Blueberry milkshake keeps winning.

I hear the bell ringing and turn to answer the door, but Louis surpasses me on our race.

"Wick, honey, how can I help you, sweetheart?"

James frowns at the small boy in front of him, surprised to see him here.

My eyes instantly wander down his body to look at the navy fitted suit he wears.

How to say: I'm sorry I can't go, I'm going into cardiac arrest because, DAMN

"Good morning to you too, Louis," he says in the most unimpressed voice.

"Can't you smile a little for me, babe come on? Just for me, I know you can, boo!" he presses, but James doesn't move a muscle.

I push Louis behind me, putting myself between them and resisting his attempts to overcome me. James grins when he sees me and I hear an indignation gasp from Louis.

"You son of a bitch! This is betrayal! Cheater! You cheater! How can you do this to me! You fucking cheater!" Louis dramatised, trying to reach him.

"Hi," I smile, ignoring the screaming, "I'll be right back. Let me just deal with my baby brother"

"I'm older than you!"

I close the door softly and turn to the human megaphone, grabbing him by the arm and dragging him to the living room. Somehow, I throw him onto the sofa.

He falls next to my best friend and puts an arm around her with a smirk. "Hey, Court. How are you?"

"Ew, no"

"Is he here already?" mum asks.

"Yeah. I'm leaving. See you later, okay?"

"Bye, honey. I'm just going to sit here with Louis while you're gone"