Sunrise

Chapter 10 - Sleepy Beauty

"Come on, AJ! You're so slow!"

I dragged my feet after Jade, but she was too fast for me to keep up.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," I mumbled and jogged with her. "We're not late yet"

"Yet," she pressed, and I rolled my eyes.

Jade is that one person who gets everywhere early. I didn't find it strange that she wanted to fit into the perfect student role. After all, she got lectured if her grades were anything but A's. Luckily, her parents have the money to pay for the therapy.

We walked through the gigantic doors of the theatre room and joined our colleagues in the audience.

Besides Yuki, Jade and I were the only second-graders in the play. I can't believe we're doing this without Courtney!

Miss Wick and two others were on the stage and the chatting quieted down at her presence. As usual, the Wicked Witch started this entire speech and gave us instructions on what we were supposed to do.

It was our first rehearsal. Beth, as expected, is playing Aurora. I'm Merryweather and Jade is Flora.

There was a commotion because of us getting good roles instead of being just extras, but it was quickly dismissed as Miss Wick didn't care.

We had our tasks, so while some discussed figurines and all, we went up the stage to do it for the very first time.

While the first scenes were happening, Jade and I stayed backstage, watching.

"Are you nervous?" Jade asked me.

I shook my head and offered her a cheerful smile.

"Nah, it's just a rehearse. I'll only get nervous when I see a crowd"

Miss Wick has a computer and someone was trying to help her figure out how to use it properly. Their voices drew my attention from the play for a second.

"And how do I do the mirror thing? From my phone to the computer?"

The guy sighed in desperation. I recognised immediately the voice when he finally spoke, explaining to her in complete boredom.

"Can I go now aunt Julia? I have to practise with Kyle for the game next week"

"I already told you to not call me that when we're at school," she warned him, and he rolled his eyes.

"And I told you to not call me by my name, but you've been doing it all day," Reed bit back.

She ignored him and waved dismissively for him to go.

He passed by me with the annoyed look I'd got used to seeing him with.

"Hey Reed," I called upon him. It's the first time I'm seeing him since winter break.