Sunrise

Chapter 16 - The music

I was woken by the awful sound of people moving around in a rush

I was woken by the awful sound of people moving around in a rush. Then, as if they hadn't disturbed my sleep enough, Jade shook me in the bed.

"Wake up! AJ! Wake up! You're going to be late for class"

I mumbled I wasn't going, but she didn't care. Soon, I had both Courtney and Jade pulling on each of my arms and dragging me out of my bed.

"Okay, okay!" I groaned and tried to get on my own feet. "I'm coming"

But the bell for breakfast was already playing and all of them were exiting the dorms and marching to the canteen. Jade and Court stayed behind, yelling at me to dress faster. Conclusion: I ended up entering the canteen with my hair still down, an undone tie and jumping on a foot so I could put my shoe in the other. I know, big entrance.

"Miss?" a teacher called as he saw me. I recognised him immediately by the hobbling walking and scowl, "Why aren't you dressed?"

"But I am, Mr Albertelli, see? Shirt on, jacket on, skirt on, tights on..." I started enumerating, but he cut me.

"Tie your hair and finish putting on your shoes before coming in next time," he told me in his hoarse voice, as if a cat had ripped his throat.

I nodded and assured him it wouldn't happen again before being escorted to the second-grade table by Jade and Court. Lucky me, sat right next to Micah.

"Morning, Micah," I said with a smile and he returned it happily.

"Good morning, AJ. How's the play going?"

Oh my god! He cares about me!

"It's going good. All on tracks, very smooth"

What the heck did I just say? All on tracks? Very smooth? Smooth? Oh dear god, he must think I'm crazy!

"That's great" he smiled kindly and turned back to his friends.

I screwed up! Noooooooo...

While I recovered from my humiliation (I know I'm being dramatic, leave me alone), I saw Jade waving and smiling at... the Antichrist himself. Wait. Why is she smiling? He was really rude to her last time!

"Um, Jade? Why are you waving at Mr Deeks?"

She looked at me with a cute grin on her face.

"He's nice, isn't he?" Wait, what now? "He called me a bambolina," she giggled. "Because I'm Italian, you know?"

"And you're happy because of that?"

"Well, yeah, he said it endearingly, not critically," she answered. "I don't know why was I so scared of him. He's pretty cool"

"Okay... if you're so sure," I mumbled and turned back to my half-eaten apple.

Why in the world am I forced to wake up at such an unholy hour in the morning if I'm not even having my damned History class today?! I mean, it's one entire hour I could be asleep, but unless I want to skip breakfast, I have to be here now, which is ridiculous. There's a tremendous problem in this school's administration.