Sunset

Chapter 13 - The truth

It's finally Tuesday, the day I hoped wouldn't come, the day I'll see my father again after three years

Not only did I wake up knowing that I would see him today, but also that James left with his ex yesterday.

Looking through the glass door, I try to spot him sitting by the counter, but I find his seat empty. I push the door open and walk inside, each step feeling like I was backstabbing myself.

He isn't here yet. He's always here before me. Maybe he got caught up in the traffic?

I sit on my stool and order my drink.

"You know, we should name this the Avery Special," Gema jokes, and leaves my milkshake on the counter.

I smile. "I'd like that. Have you seen James?"

She frowns. "Not yet, but I don't think he is coming. No offence, but yesterday you had a nasty argument"

My lips part. I knew he could not come; I was trying to convince myself to stay away, but my legs took me here. It seems weird the idea of him not being here, not being with me.

Is he really not coming? Did he decide I'm a lost cause and gave up on coming here? Is he with his boyfriend?

I spent most of the night trying to convince myself to avoid this place, nevertheless; I am here and I don't want to leave, not without seeing him.

He has to be here; he has to be here so he can forgive me and love me!

Why did I have to fuck this all up?

I focus on the door, waiting for him to enter, counting the seconds. But nobody crossed that door in fifteen minutes. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe I shouldn't be looking. If I turn around, I might get surprised by his presence.

So I turn back to the counter, staring at my milkshake and taking turns between sipping or stirring with the white and red striped paper straw.

He'll show up. He's not ditching me. I didn't ditch him on our date, he can't leave me! He can't!

No, he can. I betrayed his trust. He can do whatever he wants. I would not show up, anyway. Guess I'm the bitch now.

"Avery?" Gema joins me again. "He's not coming, don't waste your time"

I shake my head and press my palms against the counter. I'm not ready to give up just yet. He has to get his ass here right now so we can figure things out.

"Seriously, he's not coming. Go to school," she presses.

I shook my head once more, fingers white with the pressure of the clench. There's no giving up. I'm waiting. I never liked someone in my life as much as I like him.

My phone started buzzing, and Courtney's ugly picture showed up on my screen. She's probably afraid I'll ditch her again.

"Avery!" Gema scolds me.