Sunrise

Chapter 4 - The boy on stage

A week had gone by and I was ready to move to the school

A week had gone by and I was ready to move to the school. Dad had helped me pack the essentials for the first week, knowing I would return home on the weekend. I was thrilled!

"Well... See you Saturday, dad," I said.

He handed me my bag and kissed my forehead. "Bye, little one"

I watched as he drove away and then turned to face the gate. With a deep breath, I walked past it and straight into the school.

Our first-day tour didn't include dorms and, even though Chris had pointed them to us, I had only a vague idea how to get there. At each end of the main building, there were some kind of tower-shaped buildings working as dorms. One was girls and the other was boys. I knew they were connected to the main building, yet I didn't know how to get there. The map they gave us on the first day wasn't very clear either.

Court told me the left was girls, and right was boys. Still, there were two different entries on opposite sides. I came in through the north gate. Maybe she meant the southern left and in that case, I was about to make a huge mistake.

The school is huge. It has the main building for standard classes, the dorms on each side, and pavilions for the different vocations. Even with the colourful map, it was easy to get lost.

I took the stairs to the second floor once inside the building, supposedly the one to second graders, aka year 8. The corridors were pretty much empty, but as I approached the dormitories, I could hear voices. Soon, realised I did a slight mistake.

We all knew it was going to happen.

Boys wandered around the room, crossing from room to room. I didn't even see any dorms; I saw bloody washrooms and some guys only in a towel. The doors were all wide open and steam came out of the crowded showers.

I stood aside from the commotion, not daring to move a muscle, being very much ignored.

"What the hell are you doing here?" a voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

I looked up to a dripping wet Reed right next to me, holding to the towel on his waist with a tight grip as if he'd just jumped out of the shower. Maybe he was my guardian angel who came to guide me. Who knows?

"I-I hum..." I was amazed and speechless by the vision of him.

Give me a break. It's not every day one sees a cute guy shirtless.

Still stuttering, I said, "I was looking for my dorm but... hum... I got... lost?"

"No shit. Stay here, I'm going to get dressed and then I'll take you to the girls' dorms"

Before I could protest, he had already disappeared in the mist.

I wished I had a phone to call Courtney. She could've told me where to go before I had to venture through the jungle.